Office Hours: The Invisible Labour of OER (25 April 2019, 2pm EST/ 6pm UTC)

Topic: The Invisible Labour of OER
When: Thursday, April 25, 2019, 2 pm EST / 11 am PST / 6 pm UTC
Guest Speakers: Ali Versluis (Open Education Resources Librarian, University of Guelph), Monica Brown (OER Coordinator, eCampus Center - Extended Studies, Boise State University), Esperanza Zenon (Physical Science Instructor, River Parishes Community College), and Melissa Ashman (Instructor & Interim Department Chair, Applied Communications, School of Business, Kwantlen Polytechnic University)

OER work is hard work—and valuable work—but it is too often undervalued, under-compensated, and hidden from sight. The notion of doing OER “stuff” on the side, in addition to a heavy load of formal duties, is all too familiar, and the emotional investment from many of us is considerable. Much of the movement’s progress has been driven by the passion and commitment of people willing to go the extra mile, but what is the impact of this reliance on invisible and unpaid labour? How does it affect our ability to build a more inclusive and equitable open education framework in the long term? How does it limit participation? What are the implications for sustainability in the ecosystem, including establishing business models? And how might we commit to moving forward with more recognition and value of the labour invested in OER development?

The recording is now available. Watch here and read the transcript here.

1 Like

will watch this on YT later for sure.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed this session of Office Hours. Thanks to everyone who joined, listened, shared their stories and their resources.

Speaking of resources, here are a few I collected during the session. If I’ve missed any, please add them and any other texts of interest.

3 Likes

Thanks for putting together this list, Leigh! I had one more resource on my list:

I too found the session immensely valuable. Huge thank you again to Ali, Melissa, @esperanzazenon1966, and Monica for sharing your insights. Thanks also to everyone who attended the session and shared their thoughts in the chat.

For those who were wondering: the recording and chat transcript will be shared very soon!

The recording for this session is now available!

Also, as requested the chat transcript is available along with the audio transcript.

2 Likes