Title: Planning and Implementing a Digital Humanities Project
Lead Author: Sarah Ketchley (University of Washington) / @ketchley
Rebus Project Manager(s): Zoe Wake Hyde / @zoe
License: CC BY
Target Audience: Humanities Graduate Students & Faculty
Subject: Digital Humanities/Project Management
Target Release Date: TBD

BOOK DESCRIPTION
The term ‘Digital Humanities’ is ubiquitous yet ambiguously defined. Unfamiliar vocabulary and uncertainty about where or how to begin a DH project are the greatest barriers for many humanities students and faculty who wish to explore and present their research using digital tools and methodologies. This textbook will offer clear guidelines and best practices for planning and implementing such a project, following the work flow from initial planning stages through to completion. Core topics will include data curation and management, choosing a digital platform, working with teams, and tools for analysis and visualization. The work flow is based on quarter-long introductory classes in Digital Humanities created and taught by the author.

HELP NEEDED
We are currently look for collaborators to help with:

• Proof reading
  • Chapter reviews
  • Formatting in Pressbooks
  • Performing accessibility checks
  • Marketing
  • Promoting adoptions in classrooms

Get involved by joining the discussion below!

HOW TO PARTICIPATE
If you’re excited by this project, but still not sure where you’d like to get involved, just sign up to the forum, and post below for project updates. Give us an idea of your background, particular area of expertise, and interests. We’ll follow up and make sure we find ways to have you participate!

RECOGNITION FOR CONTRIBUTORS
This project couldn’t happen without your participation. All contributing authors will be credited prominently in their chapter, the book, the metadata and promotional materials. All editors, reviewers and other contributors will also be credited.

TWEET THIS PROJECT (less than 140 chars, copy-paste into Twitter)

Interested in #DH and #opentextbooks? We’re looking for help with a new textbook on planning digital humanities projects: http://bit.ly/planningdh

Project Team:
@ketchley (lead author), @zoe (rebus project manager), @hugh, @gesina.a.phillips, @marykathleenb86… and you?

Hello! I’m a trained copy editor & proofreader, & I have a professional interest in DH projects. Please let me know if you’d like a hand!

Thanks @gesina.a.phillips, sounds like you’d be perfect for this project! We’re still in the authoring stage so not quite ready for proofreading and copy editing yet, but we will definitely be in touch when we get to that point. Thanks again for the offer.

That’s great, thanks @zoe! Just get in touch when you get to the point that another set of eyes is useful.

Hello- I’m interested in providing proofreading for this project. I have a master’s in library and information science (and completed a class in digital libraries) and an undergraduate degree in media studies. I’ve also had proofreading and copyediting jobs. Please let me know if I can contribute. -Mary Brunskill

@marykathleenb86 Thanks Mary, really appreciate you joining us! As I mentioned to @gesina.a.phillips we’ll be in touch once we’re at the proofreading stage.