[PSYCH] Ancillary Materials for Principles of Social Psychology [lead: Rajiv Jhangiani, KPU]

• administrators

BASIC PROJECT INFORMATION
    Title: Ancillary Materials for Principles of Social Psychology
    Lead Authors: Rajiv Jhangiani (Kwantlen Polytechnic University)
    Subject: Psychology
    Target audience: Undergraduate students
    Single author or Multiple authors: Multiple
    Rebus project manager(s): Hugh McGuire, Zoe Wake Hyde
    License: CC-BY

Help needed:

• Development of ancillary materials, e.g.:
      • Question bank
      • Powerpoint slides
      • Activity manual
    • Further development & review of associated text

ADDITIONAL PROJECT INFORMATION

Project description:
    This project primarily involves bringing together social psychologists to develop ancillary resources to support Principles of Social Psychology. The book already has large adoptions at UBC, Ohio State, and a few other smaller institutions (including KPU). The ancillaries might include a question bank, powerpoint slides, and an activity manual.

A secondary goal of this community will be to provide (and to peer review) suggestions for updates and improvements to the book itself.

Book description:
    The first International edition of Principles of Social Psychology provides students with an introduction to the basic concepts and principles of social psychology from an interactionist perspective. The presentation of classic studies and theories are balanced with insights from cutting-edge, contemporary research. An emphasis on real world examples and applications is intended to guide students to critically analyze their situations and social interactions in order to put their knowledge to effective use.

How to participate:
    Interested contributors can sign up to the forum and post below. Please give us an idea of your background, particular area of expertise and what kind of materials you would be interested in working on.

Tweet this project:
    Want to help create ancillary materials for an open social psychology textbook? Find out how to contribute here: http://bit.ly/socpsychmaterials

Current Project Team:
    @rajiv.jhangiani, @hugh, @zoe… and you?

• Hello Rajiv,

Thanks for the invitation to sign up for the community. Not entirely sure how much use I’ll be - pretty swamped right now - but if YOU are doing it, I want to follow it! To answer your questions, my background is that I am an associate professor of Psychology in Baltimore, MD, USA and I have taught psychology for nearly 20 years. My primary course offerings are in Introductory, Abnormal, Social, and Developmental psychology (not all at the same time!). I’ve written, edited, and revised ancillaries for academic psychology textbooks for about 15 years for both professional publishing houses as well as OERs. I’ve worked on test banks, online quizzes, animation creation/scripting, instructor manuals, student study guides, PowerPoints, Crossword and Word Search creation, as well as dozens of reviews of upcoming texts. I hope that is the sort of information you’re looking for! Be well, my friend. Let me know when you’re in Baltimore. As I’ve promised, first crabcake is on my dime!

• Hi Jason,
    Thank you so much! Your experience will be incredibly valuable for this project. Re: a timeline I am looking to have the deck completed over the summer (in time for Fall 2017 adoptions), so hopefully that makes it easier for you to participate. It looks like we will have a couple of chapters worth of model decks to work from as well.
    Will def let you know if I am ever close to Baltimore. Dreaming of crabcakes now :-)
    Cheers,
    Rajiv

• Hi Rajiv,

I’m willing to work on designing instructor slides using principles from the Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Design, and basic design principles.

I will commit to designing at least 2 chapters worth of slides and creating a short(ish) screencast on principles of slide design to serve as models and instruction for other slide designers. I can deliver the slides & screencast by May 15th. At that point I should be able to tell you whether I can contribute more than that or not.

cheers
    Kristie Dukewich

• @kristie.dukewich That’s awesome! Thank you Kristie. Your expertise in this domain will add significant value to this project and other similar ones to follow. I will also help create slide decks for this project, especially as I will teach Social Psychology this summer using this open textbook. Having your model slides in place by May 15 will allow me to follow your design lead.

• Hi Rajiv. Count me in for some help with the test bank and I can also share some class activities. I will be able to work on this during May and June.

• administrators

Thanks @hammon.tarry. I know @rajiv-jhangiani will be thrilled to have you contribute!

• @hammond.tarry That is brilliant, thank you Hammond! I am working on a plan for the test bank so will be in touch about that. Activities are very welcome (we can harvest and remix many existing ones as well from places like NOBA), especially as mapped on to specific chapters in the book.

Looks like your connection to The REBUS Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.