Project Summary: Guide to Making Open Textbooks With Students

• administrators

BASIC INFORMATION
    Title: Making Open Textbooks With Students Handbook
    Lead Editors: Zoe Wake Hyde / @zoe , Liz Mays / @lizmays
    Rebus Project Managers: Zoe Wake Hyde, Liz Mays
    License: CC BY
    Target Audience: Faculty wanting to practice open pedagogy or involve students in building open textbooks and ancillary materials.
    Subject: Education
    Target Release Date: Fall 2017

BOOK DESCRIPTION
    Making Open Textbooks With Students will be a short handbook for faculty interested in involving students in making open textbooks or similar open educational materials.

HELP NEEDED
    We are still looking for a few contributors, namely:

• Students who have worked with faculty on open textbook projects who are willing to write about their experiences in a 300- to 500-word sidebar.
    • Faculty with relevant experience who could contribute example assignments, ancillary resources that have been tested in the classroom, a short writeup about their classroom open textbook project, or similar.

Get involved by joining the discussion below!

As the project progresses, we will also need collaborators to help with:

• Copyediting
    • Proofreading
    • Accessibility checks
    • Formatting in Pressbooks
    • Marketing

HOW TO PARTICIPATE
    If you’re excited by this project, but still not sure where you’d like to get involved, just sign up to the forum, and post below for project updates. Give us an idea of your background, particular area of expertise, and interests. We’ll follow up and make sure we find ways to have you participate!

RECOGNITION FOR CONTRIBUTORS
    This project couldn’t happen without your participation. All contributing authors will be credited prominently in their chapter, the book, the metadata and promotional materials. All editors, reviewers and other contributors will also be credited.

OUTLINE
    The Table of Contents is as follows:

Open Pedagogy
    Student Rights and Faculty Responsibilities
    Project Ideas and Case Studies
    Student Experiences in OT Projects
    Resources

For a more extensive outline, see here.

RELEVANT RESOURCES
    Here’s a list of useful documents:

TWEET THIS PROJECT! (less than 140 chars, copy-paste into Twitter)
    Help us make a guide to making open textbooks with students. Find out how to contribute here: http://bit.ly/2mJAW30

CURRENT PROJECT TEAM
    @zwakehyde (lead editor), @lizmays (lead editor), @egsmith3, @rajiv-jhangiani, @robinderosa1, @wardjulie, @davidsquires, @alicebarrett, @gabriel-higginbotham…and you?

• I am working on a student-developed critical, annotated anthology of Hispanic literary texts. I would be happy to participate in interviews and/or contribute to Chapter Three. I would also be happy to help with Chapter One, sharing assignment instructions and rubrics. I’ll check in with my two student research assistants who are working on final drafts and formatting to see whether they’re interested.

• This post is deleted!

• administrators

@wardjulie This is fantastic! We would love to add a case study featuring your text to chapter three. I will put you down for assignment instructions and rubrics for chapter one. If possible, we would love to add some of your students’ voices in chapter four as well! Keep us posted on their interest, and we’ll be in touch soon to coordinate further.

• administrators

@wardjulie Also, we will turn the rough outline above into a spreadsheet soon!

• Hi y’all. Last fall I had my students create a prototype OA textbook about social media. We used Scalar as a platform, so the project is available online. See links below. I’d be happy to talk/write about the experience if it’d be useful for Chapter Three. I’d be happy to offer my experience teaching digital literacy, if that’s useful. This handbook looks useful. I’m happy to have stumbled across the project.

http://scalar.usc.edu/works/cultures-of-social-media/index

http://scalar.usc.edu/works/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-social-media-but-were-too-afraid-to-ask/index

• administrators

@davidsquires Hi @davidsquires This is fantastic! (I once taught social media at a j-school and could really have used a resource like this!) I will add your project as a case study or interview in Chapter 3 to the draft and put you down for the digital literacy piece of Chapter 2. Very exciting to have you onboard. More details will follow!

• I would love to work on the opening intro, maybe with Rajiv. I know we are both limited on time, so it depends on the timeline. But we both have stuff that we could mash up to create an intro section like that, I think…

• administrators

Hi @robinderosa1 We would love if you and @rajiv could contribute to that section!

• administrators

I’ve put together a spreadsheet of what is still a TOC in development. I am adding to it as people express thoughts here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nqzxDt6On9VCsNlr9NbWlRYB1PLYetqTm7FaZ5Af5e4/edit#gid=0

• @wardjulie As one of the students contributing to the Dr. Ward’s project, I am happy to be interviewed for Chapter Four.

• administrators

Hi @alicebarrett Thanks so much. I will be in touch to coordinate soon!

• administrators

Hi Everyone, An update: Thanks to all of you, this project has been progressing at a clip! We are still looking for a few more students to tell their stories. These could take the form of roughly 500-word firsthand accounts from students/former students about their experience working on open pedagogy projects or through interviews that become Q&As.

Thanks to your recommendations, we have talked with several students already, but we would like to include even more student voices.

If you know of a student who has worked on an open textbook project who might be amenable to either doing a writeup or being interviewed, I would be grateful for an introduction or contact so that we can reach out.

• I have worked on ~10 open textbooks over the past couple of years (as a student worker) and would love to share my experiences. What kind of info are you looking for? (e.g. technical, design, best practices, etc.)

• administrators

Hi @gabriel-higginbotham Your experience sounds like it would make a perfect first-hand account for the guide, ideally as one of the sidebars offering the student (or former student) viewpoint on being part of these projects. You have so much experience it might make for a longer sidebar–maybe 800 to 1,000 words? For yours, I think it would be great if you could:

1. Give some context by summarizing some of projects you’ve worked on and your role in them.
    2. Talk about how those were valuable learning experiences for you as a student–the skills you acquired, etc.
    3. Give your perspective on the processes or practices that lend themselves to best success when faculty and students work on these projects
    4. Key challenges and considerations you would like to see addressed in such projects
      Would you be amenable to writing such a sidebar?

Looks like your connection to The REBUS Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.