Ryan Hersha, English prof obsessed with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Hello, Rebus Community! I teach writing, literature, and public speaking at Corning Community College, located in the Finger Lakes region of New York. I also serve the College this year as the Faculty OER Coordinator and am currently the President of our faculty union, the Professional Educators of Corning Community College (NYSUT/AFT/NEA/AFL-CIO).

The immediate prompt for my exploring the Rebus Community is an idea I have that I’m calling Open Frankenstein. This would be an open textbook that includes the complete texts (1818 and 1831) of Frankenstein supplemented entirely by other open resources, including not only public domain texts and images from the period for historical/literary/biographical contexts but openly licensed, high-quality learning materials written by and for modern-day readers of Frankenstein as well. If you are interested in helping with this project in any way, please email me at rhersha@corning-cc.edu.

Beyond Frankenstein, my Corning CC colleagues and I do use an open textbook for our Freshman Composition I and Public Speaking classes, and I am excited that a new open textbook for our Freshman Composition II (literature-based) course is also under development.

I look forward to seeing how I might contribute to other Rebus Community projects, and how/if Open Frankenstein might find the spark of life here!

@ryanhersha Hi Ryan, welcome to the Rebus Community!

Your idea for Open Frankenstein sounds fantastic, and I’m sure that it will resonate with others in the community, perhaps with those who have participated in the Open Anthology of Earlier American Literature project. We’re very excited to release a new platform very soon to support the collaborative creation of open textbook projects, and if you’re interested in working on the Open Frankenstein project in the open beta, please let us know.

We’d love to hear more about the new textbook for the Freshman Composition II course!

I’d encourage you to look around the forum and see the projects we have underway – there are many projects ranging across different subject areas. You may find some that spark interest! We look forward to collaborating with you, and hopefully helping bring the Open Frankenstein project to life!