Introducing myself....

My name is April Akins. I am the University Archivist at Lander University, a small public university in South Carolina. I am responsible for our library’s affordable learning initiative and want to get my hands more involved in creating OERs and learning from the open experts!

@aakins Hi April, welcome to the Rebus Community! Can you tell us about some of the OER efforts or initiatives that are ongoing at Lander U? We’re always eager to hear about what others are doing, and finding ways to collaborate! :slight_smile:

Things are starting to get rolling here at Lander. I have been encouraging faculty to start finding, reviewing and adopting OER. Beginning stages. I have some on board already, others that are interested and some that are hesitate to move away from tradition. I am starting to explore who to help faculty remix and publish their own OERs, beginning with where we can host the materials and what formats to use. So pretty new initiative here. I am a part of the SCALE (South Carolina Affordable LEarning) efforts at the state level. I am currently vice chair. This has really given me some programs and support for my faculty on campus. We have provided webinars, workshops, and several recognition programs. More in the works.

@aakins Thanks, April! It’s good to hear that you have some faculty members who are already on board with OER. It’s not surprising about those who are a bit hesitant, but hopefully they are open enough to learning more about OER and open pedagogy.

I am starting to explore who to help faculty remix and publish their own OERs, beginning with where we can host the materials and what formats to use. So pretty new initiative here.

That’s an exciting initiative! As you get going with this, please feel free to post questions that come up along the way in this forum. Members here have such a wide variety of experience and expertise with this process, and would certainly be able to share their own perspectives or solutions to challenges.

I am a part of the SCALE (South Carolina Affordable LEarning) efforts at the state level. I am currently vice chair. This has really given me some programs and support for my faculty on campus. We have provided webinars, workshops, and several recognition programs. More in the works.

Fantastic that you’re already in contact with others in your state, and have been able to coordinate webinars, workshops, and other recognition programs. Knowing that you have support is so important, and that’s what we are here for too! :slight_smile: Looking forward to hearing more!