General Discussion: Introduction to Philosophy

• administrators

@knachel Thanks Matt, we really appreciate it! There’ll still be plenty of ways to contribute :) Exciting to hear your text is in final editing, let us know when you’re releasing it and we’ll give it a signal boost.

• @knachel Great to hear we already have an author of a chapter (or more) lined up for logic! And also great to hear you’re finalizing an open logic text!

• @administrators @clhendricksbc @zoe I am not sure exactly how the sharing and commenting permissions work on Google Drive, but I have attempted to share the three draft chapters than have thus far been submitted on Google Drive as open for comments only to all who have the link. Would you mind checking that from your end to see if it is set up properly? It seems that the sub-folder “submitted chapters” into which I moved them has vanished – it no longer shows up in the main folder for the textbook.

• administrators

@geoslack Hi George! I’ve double checked, and the three submitted files are all set to the right permissions where anyone with the link can comment. I don’t know what happened to the folder (we haven’t done anything on our end!) but I’ve changed some settings so have a look again and see if it’s there for you now. If not, let me know and I’ll take another look. Thanks!

• @zoe I see the chapters submissions folder with the submitted chapters on my end… but maybe that’s just because it’s in the folder that I already have permission to see (the folder with all our stuff related to this textbook). I’m assuming that @geoslack has that permission too?

• @clhendricksbc @zoe I see the submitted chapters but not the folder that they are in. That folder with files inside was visible to me until I changed the permissions of the files to allow people with the link to comment but not edit.

• administrators

@geoslack I’ve just shared the folder with you directly - hopefully that fixes things?

• Hi everyone,

We have new Part Editors for several parts of this text, and some of them have created outlines for their Parts that are ready for comment by people in this group. Here is what we have ready for comment:

Social & Political philosophy: outline is here, join the discussion thread here

Logic: outline is here, join the discussion thread here

Philosophy of Mind: outline is here, join the discussion thread here

Philosophy of Religion: outline is here, join the discussion thread here

Note that for any discussion threads you want to follow, it’s good to click “watching” at the bottom to make sure you get email notifications when there are new posts. I think that if you post to the thread you’re automatically watching but I’m not 100% positive of that.

Finally, there are still some chapters remaining on Ethics and Aesthetics, in case anyone wanted to sign-up for them! Go to the tabs on the bottom of that spreadsheet to get to the different parts.

• And we have one more new Part outline ready for comments! It’s on Metaphysics. See the information and link to that outline on the Metaphysics thread: https://forum.rebus.community/topic/226/metaphysics-part-ed-adriano-palma/

Please read the outline and make comments if you feel you have expertise in metaphysics!

• administrators

Thanks to everyone who provided their feedback on the various part outlines! They are now closed for comments. We will start looking for chapter authors for these parts very soon, and if you’re interested in contributing, just add your name to the Chapter Assignments spreadsheet.

• administrators

Hi everyone,

We’ve made a lot of progress finalizing the chapters for several parts, and are now looking to recruit authors! We’re looking for contributors for these parts:

There are also some outstanding chapters in the Ethics and Aesthetics parts.

If you’d like to write a chapter, please comment in the appropriate part thread (linked above) and include:

• your CV
    • a brief summary of your experience teaching an introductory course in philosophy, and
    • the chapter(s) you want to write.

Alternatively, you can send me this information via email (send to apurva@rebus.foundation), and I will pass it along to the part editors in question.

The chapters in each part are listed in this spreadsheet. Go to the tabs on the bottom of that spreadsheet to get to the different parts.

• administrators

Hi everyone! We’re pleased to announce that Rebus Projects is now live! This is our new platform that guides open textbook projects through the publishing workflow and makes it easy to find, recruit, and organize collaborators. The main listing for this project is now found on the new site.

To stay involved & updated on this project’s progress, head to Rebus Projects, log in with the same details you use on the Rebus Forum. Then, find this project in the listing, and click on “Join the Project” in the new platform! We look forward to seeing you there!

Looks like your connection to The Rebus Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.