Project Summary: The Open Anthology of Earlier American Literature

• administrators

• @docjem1972 Great! Welcome aboard!

• Hi! My name is Gesina and I’m a Digital Scholarship Librarian. I’m a trained copy editor & proofreader, & have my BA/MA in English Literature. I work a great deal with copyright and formatting in my current job as well, and I am comfortable writing copy. Please let me know what I can help out with!

• administrators

@gesina.a.phillips Thanks Gesina! Great to have you join us. Will have the first round of jobs coming soon - watch this space.

• administrators

Just a thought/suggestion: LibriVox has a whole lot of public domain audiobooks … and likely a good collection of the content in that will be in this anthology, see:

http://librivox.org

Also, since the source texts are all in the public domain, we might be able to suggest LibriVox make a complete version of this anthology.

• administrators

re; librivox … idea is that each piece might link to the librivox audio version.

which makes me think: there should be a Pressbooks feature to:
    “Add additional resources” … this would allow you to add links to other content in a structured way.

• I was wondering if all the positions had been assigned for this project? I am very interested in contributing my literary knowledge to this particular textbook.

• administrators

Hi @hbowen211, we’re definitely still looking for support with this textbook and would love to have you contribute! Aside from the lead editor job, we’re keeping it fairly loose in terms of positions, but whatever level of involvement you’re willing to have will be very welcome for the project.

To update you on where we are at the moment, Tim ( @trobbins1981 ) is currently working on a draft TOC that we’ll be opening up for feedback in the next week or two, so we’d love your input on that. I’ll be sure to post it here, so keep an eye out. Then once that’s agreed upon, we’ll then be looking at having people put their hand up for more specific tasks - researching the texts, writing intros, maybe creating ancillary materials etc.

• Hello Administrators! I have a master’s degree in library and information studies and an undergraduate degree in media studies with a minor in English. I was copy desk chief at my university’s newspaper and have worked in proofreading and copyediting positions. I’d be pleased to provide assistance in any of these areas:

Public domain text researchers
    Copy editors
    Proof readers

Thanks! - Mary Brunskill

• administrators

@marykathleenb86 Hi Mary, thanks for volunteering in this project too! We’ll be starting the hunt for the texts very soon, so keep an eye out.

• Dear heroic forum respondents!

So sorry to have kept you waiting all of these weeks, but I’m so delighted to finally and truly make your acquaintance. I’m also quite excited to be working with Rebus to get this Open Anthology developed and into more literature courses.

We’re fortunate–due to the yeoman’s work by Robin DeRosa and her class and Abby Goode and her class, and the work of my own Early American literature students last fall–to have an excellent head start as far as curated chapter texts go. Some of those chapters are even complete with fleshed out “paratextual” materials like introductions and videos.

As to the project’s next steps, I am finally calling on your expertise and energy to begin filling in the blanks and polishing out the spots. We’re lucky to have such an array of talented and devoted researchers, scholars, and librarians on the forum, and I am eager to work with all of you on this project.

Zoe has been good enough to design the following spreadsheet that lays out our needs in terms of missing authors and texts; it also notes which aspects of the current anthology warrant a closer look.

At this point, I am issuring an open invite to forum respondents to request the authors and/or texts they most desire or would feel most comfortable working on. Please feel free to digitally pencil in your name and any thoughts or suggestions in the spreadsheet above. In the meantime, I’ll be asking for support from colleagues, and, eventually, I might have to tap certain individuals on the forum with more particular requests, i.e. I might be bugging you in the future. Forgive me in advance!

I look forward to talking and working with all of you in the coming months. I’m off to teach, but I’ll be eagerly awaiting your responses!

• Hi All-
    My name is Meghan and I’d love to help with this project! I am a third year PhD student in Early American and Antebellum Literature, Culture, & Medicine at Texas Tech University.
    I’ve added a few text recommendations to the spreadsheet in bold and I penciled in my name in a few spots.

• @M.Self Hooray, Meghan! Welcome aboard. I’m going to contact everyone on the list this weekend, once the dust settles from the responses.

So excited!

• @zoe said in [LIT] The Open Anthology of Earlier American Literature [lead: Tim Robbins, Graceland University]:

Tim Robbins, Graceland University

Hi, everyone.
    I teach English and Humanities (including world mythology and American Literature) and would love to tackle the creation myths section.

• Hi Tim and all, I teach 2 sections of the Early American Survey course at Collin County Community College in Plano, Texas. I am planning on both using the anthology in the course this fall and recruiting my students to work on it as well. I would LOVE to see any project guidelines for getting students involved. Are there any assignments you’ve used in class for contributing to the anthology that you could share?

Looks like your connection to The Rebus Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.