Philosophy of Mind [ed: Heather Salazar]

Thanks, @apurva. I appreciate it. As an update for you and @christina.hendricks: I have just a couple hours left of work to on the last remaining docs: the final chapter and the historical-commentary boxes. The content is copyedited but each requires a lot of formatting into the proper style (i.e. Author-Date style with in-text citations rather than the Note-style with FN citations). For one chapter, this means creating the references list altogether, which is fairly straightforward for this chapter since the FN references are complete. Hence, I think I should be able to finish by the end of the week.

These are looking real spiffy, @xolotl! Do you want me to remove the line indentations for the citations in the references list in the remaining gdocs? I have just 2 documents left to copyedit (the final chapter of the text and the historical commentary boxes). And if I have time, I can go back through Ch. 6 and forward, which Iā€™ve already completed, and remove the indents.

Sorry for the lapse in communications, I was blocked from updating this thread more as a new user, but since fixed (thanks @apurva!).

Yes, Ch0-5 are in PB, along with the author bios.

Note that Ch4 is awaiting an image caption (yes, I do think it is a best practice to indicate the title, author, source and copyright status of images in the public domain, even though not required. @apurva may have other thoughts.

Note Ch5 is awaiting proper equations pending input from the author. Happy to help there when/if the time comes, with the caveat is my latex is rusty so if the author or someone else can supply equations in one of the workable formats, that would be best. Note also that there are references to equations within the surrounding text that might also benefit from some other treatment than they have now.

Yes @metatechne the indents in references lists have to be removed manually in PB anyways, so removing them in Google Docs is probably best.

Looking great everyone! I have added the image caption to the google doc for chapter 5 (itā€™s chapter 5 that has the image w/o a caption, and chapter 4 that has the need for equation assistance). I can put the image caption into chapter 5 on PB when I get a chance to review the PB versions of the chapters. I have asked the author of chpt. 4 if she can work on the equations in LaTeX or another language that MathJax can use.

In other news, chapters 6 and 7 are ready to go into PB. Then weā€™ll just have the two docs Colleen mentions above. Almost there!

Oops, sorry. I mixed up Chs4 & 5! Thank you for catching that Christina!

I will focus on getting Chs6 & 7 into PB.

Sounds good, @christina.hendricks! Keep us posted.

Yes, agreed! Not only good practice, but also makes it easy for adapters of the book to clearly identify which images can be reused, and which ones, if any, cannot. Pressbooks lets you enter this information as part of the image metadata (accessed in the Media Library ā†’ Select Image ā†’ Image Attributions) and can automatically display this information at the end of each chapter (see more instructions here: https://guide.pressbooks.com/chapter/media-attributions/).

For the image in Chapter 5, it appears to be in the public domain in the US: File:Duck-Rabbit illusion.jpg - Wikimedia Commons. Other information could be entered as:

Hi everyone,

The author for Chpt. 4 doesnā€™t know how to write in any of the languages needed, but I remembered that my husband writes in LaTeX! Here is the code he gave me for the various formulae in the chapter, in order. If the formatting gets wonky here on the discussion board let me know and I can send in some other format/program.

M and P and M^1 and P^1.

[

\begin{array}{c}

M \

\Uparrow\

P

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow\

P

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow & & \Uparrow \

P & & P^1

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{cc}

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow\

P^{\text{ }}

\end{array}

& \qquad \qquad

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & \rightarrow & M^1 \

\Uparrow & \searrow & \Uparrow \

P & & P^1

\end{array}

\end{array}

]

[

\begin{array}{ccc}

M & & M^1 \

\Uparrow & & \Uparrow \

P & \rightarrow & P^1

\end{array}

]

Never mindā€“the above is wonky/not quite right. Itā€™s missing some marks. I can send it to Nate in a Word doc or something, if that works?

Thanks for letting us know, and how nice of your husband to try his hand at it! Please pass along my thanks to him! Looks like the formatting isnā€™t too great here, so Iā€™d suggest either passing along to @xolotl via a Word document, or if he prefers, entering the code directly in Pressbooks. Will leave it to Nate to decide!

Whew, all done! I Historical commentary boxes and Ch. 8 are all set, and ready for @christina.hendricks to review when she is able. @xolotl, I went back and removed the formatted indents from the chapters that arenā€™t yet in PB.

Edited to add: Note that Ch. 8 has some formatting too that may need to be represented differently in PB (the formalized arguments that separate the conclusions from the premises do so with a plaintext series of underscores).

1 Like

Thanks to the spouse of @clhendricksbc/@christina.hendricks, Iā€™ve put the equations in Ch4. I left them as default left-aligned rather than centered as they were in the gdoc as I think some of them end up looking out of place centered. We can easily center them if folks think that is better.

The other question is whether we should code the various bits of equations in the rest of the text as latex ā€” I think it would be easy even for me to do as they are bits from the other equations, but Iā€™m not sure if that would improve accessibility, etc.

If we can call on him a bit more, perhaps said spouse could take a look, make sure I havenā€™t messed up his code, and weigh in on what he thinks about the in-line equation bits?

Iā€™ve also added the image attribution for Ch5 following @apurvaā€™s excellent instructions.

So pending equation review of Ch4, I think everything already in the book is final proof ready.

Next up, adding the rest of the chapters.

Ch 6 is now in place: https://press.rebus.community/intro-to-phil-of-mind/chapter/consciousness/

@christina.hendricks / @clhendricksbc I saw the authorā€™s name in the gdoc was Tony H. Y. Cheng, but is only Tony Cheng in PB. Not sure how to change that.

CH 7 is now in place: https://press.rebus.community/intro-to-phil-of-mind/chapter/concepts-and-content/

Wow, youā€™re moving right along, @xolotl! Thanks so much.

I will ask my partner to take a look at the chapter and see what he thinks about coding the rest in latex. Not a problem at all!

Also, chapter 8 is now ready for importing, and as Colleen said, it has arguments with the conclusion separated from the premises by a line that is just a bunch of underscores. @apurva, do you know if this is going to be a problem on output in various formats from Pressbooks?

Re: Tonyā€™s name, I checked his website & a few of his publications and they all just list first and last name so I think letā€™s leave it as is in PB.

Last thing is the historical commentary boxes, and I need to check with the book editor on exactly where those should go.

Ch8 is now in place: https://press.rebus.community/intro-to-phil-of-mind/chapter/freedom-of-the-will/

The lines in the arguments came through, but Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s how they should be. Iā€™ll leave them as is until we decide differently. Maybe the author could weigh in on how they look?

Iā€™ll wait to do the historical commentary boxes until I hear more about what needs to happen.

@christina.hendricks if your partner thinks the in-line references to the equations should be latex, he need not bother coding them as I can steal the latex out of what he already supplied, so just his judgement would be helpful. Big thanks to him!

Colleen, thanks for getting through the rest of the content! :smiley:

Nate, great stuff with the formatting so far!

Ah since youā€™re an editor on the book, I donā€™t think you have the permissions to change this information (stored in the Book Information). I can easily make the change if needed, though @christina.hendricks, you flagged that this may not be necessary. Let me know if it is, and I can edit the contributor details.

Iā€™d suggest replacing the underscores with a horizontal line - so that the width will be consistent across the different formats. What do you all think?

As for the equations/formulae, if possible, it would be best to write them in code, so they can be rendered accessibly via MathJax (more on this in the Accessibility Toolkit from BCcampus Open Education). Looking forward to what others have to say though, and of course, to see if itā€™s feasible for Nate to convert them.

Iā€™m not sure how yā€™all want to proceed with the final proofs, but I did a very cursory proof of Chs. 1-8 in PB. All I see that needs correction is a stray, bolded term (ā€œconceptā€) in Ch. 7, sub-section ā€œWhat is a Concept?ā€

Re: the authorā€™s name, let me see if I can check with him quickly and see what he prefers! I realized that is obviously the best approach. If heā€™s away on vacation or something weā€™ll proceed as is and can change later when he returns if needed.

Thanks, Colleenā€“fixed!

I plan to run through the book in PB as soon as I get a chance, for the final proofs. Iā€™ve asked the book editor if she has time to do it too. Any other help is appreciated, of course, but not needed if you have other things you need to get to. You all have done so much for this book already!

2 Likes