Philosophy of Religion [ed: Beau Branson]

@chrs229 Update! Chapter 3 is now ready, so the list of what’s ready to go into Pressbooks is:

• About the Contributors
  • Acknowledgements
  • Introduction to the book (the series intro is already there)
  • Chapter 1
  • Chapter 2
  • Chapter 3

@christina.hendricks I got through these this weekend:

• Chapter 4 (one minor comment; ready for your review)
  • Chapter 5 (no comments; ready for your review)

I just have Chapter 6 left to do, but I’ve run out of time this weekend (even with the U.S. holiday today)!

That’s wonderful–thank you for the update! And I hope you enjoyed some time off on the long weekend!

@chrs229, chapters 4 and 5 are now ready to be put into Pressbooks as well as 1-3…

Update on progress!

Chapters 1-4 are in Pressbooks, though we’re still ironing out some details on how they look. Chapter 5 should be there soon.

1 Like

@metatechne We are nearly at the finish line! I have just uploaded a page to the google folder for the Philosophy of Religion book that has two blurbs of praise for the book. When you have time, could you look over that for copy editing purposes? I think that’s the last part of the text we needed.

And we’re nearly ready with the cover as well so hopefully we can publish this book very soon.

Thank you!

1 Like

@christina.hendricks Sure I can take a look over the weekend!

@christina.hendricks Woops, forgot to update you the other day on here – all set! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much, @metatechne! We’ll get that section into the book and it will all be ready very soon. I just need to do some last once-overs to make sure things look good on exports, etc. Thank you for your help!

Hi @apurva, I have a question for you.

In chapter 4 of this book “Reasons not to Believe,” there was an issue with the way one of the ordered lists was working at the very end of the section on the incoherence of divine attributes. The author noted that the list (before I changed it) read:

1. 1*. Omnibenevolence seems to interfere with free will.
  2. If God lacks free will, then God lacks omnipotence.

But it should read:
1*. Omnibenevolence seems to interfere with free will.
2. If God lacks free will, then God lacks omnipotence.

The issue is that it’s an ordered list, and the first item in the list should be labeled as 1*, not simply 1, and the second should be labeled as 2 (no asterisk).

Since I don’t know how to get an ordered list to behave that way, I just made it not a list, but two separate lines. I used the “indent” formatting function on the visual editor to try to get the two lines to indent like a list would (which turns it into

, and it looks like it works when you look at the editing page but when you view it on the web page it doesn’t look indented:

I’m not sure if the way I’ve addressed the problem is the best, and even if it is I’m not sure why the indent function isn’t working.

Here is another possible solution I think. I could do an unordered list, take out the bullets, and just have the numbers as part of the list items. I took the first line below from another site I found using a google search for unordered lists w/ no bullets.

<ul style="list-style-type: none">
<li> 1*. Omnibenevolence seems to interfere with free will</li>
<li> 2. If God lacks free will, then God lacks omnipotence.</li>
</ul>

I’m not sure which of these approaches might be better, or if there is another one I should consider.

Any suggestions you have are welcome! Thank you!

Hi @apurva, one more thing (hopefully the last!):

I noticed something else while reviewing the exports for this book as we’re nearly ready to publish.

In the epub export, the “questions to consider” boxes don’t seem to have any padding on the left side, at least in my reader. The screen shot below is from the MacOS “Books” app (vers 2.4), but I also tried it on Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.5 for Mac as well and it had the same problem.

It’s worse when the question numbers are two digits:

Is there some custom CSS I can add to the epub exports that might address this?

Thank you!

Hi Christina, I’ve ensured that there was a line break before and after these two list items, and the indenting styles apply as expected. If you’d rather go with the unordered list route, you can definitely do that too. Perhaps a list would be better for accessibility purposes.

I’ve added the following lines of CSS to the ebook stylesheet to rectify this error:

.textbox ol, .bcc-box ol {
      padding-left: 2em; }

Take a look at a new EPUB export and let me know if things look okay on your end as well.

@christina.hendricks let me know if all looks good with the exports now, and we can coordinate on getting the release announcement out soon. :slight_smile:

Thank you, @apurva! The ebook export looks much better now. And I ended up using the unordered list option for the other issue in case it’s more accessible. The PDF exports seem good to me too.

So at this point I think it’s just a matter of deciding on a publication date, doing the last exports, and putting out the book release, yes? I have updated the conclusion to chapter 1 so that’s all set too.

Maybe we publish on Friday? (Dec 11)

1 Like

Thanks for taking another look at the exports!

I believe there were a few more things that you said you would address (not sure if these are already completed):

• Fix the typo Steven Steyl found
  • Fix the citations in chapter 1 to be consistent, using Stephanus numbers, as discussed.

If you can get both of these done by tomorrow, we can settle on the publication date and I can have everything ready to announce.

Yes, I have done those things as well—should have mentioned that! So I believe we’re ready to go at this point, unless Beau is ready to add discussion questions now. We could check quickly, and if not, we can just add them in later.