Session 1 - Introductions to the February 2022 A Cohort

Thanks. We’re looking forward to getting started and digging in.

1 Like

Hello, my name is Sondra Peron. I am an associate professor teaching philosophy, photography, and honors seminars. I am also gallery coordinator responsible for presenting art exhibits and special cultural programming to the college and greater Springfield Community.

Since 2015, STCC has been a Hispanic Serving Institution (HIS) with more than 25 % of our full-time student population Hispanic. Generally speaking, this is in stark contrast to the field of philosophy. Philosophy at its core is about posing questions. Questions of existence, reason, ethics, morality, knowledge and the mind are dominated by a field flooded with the views of white men of a certain age. But what about other perspectives, other genders, other races, or ethnicities?

The framing of ethical, moral, social problems traditionally begins and ends in the confines of this myopic equity-less vacuum. A narrow lens through which today’s students may feel alienated or confused, even limited and removed from history, I want students to connect to a wider variety of perspectives through a more full range of identities expressed throughout the subject of philosophy.

My primary goal for this project is that OER will help allow me to expand equity-minded resources and improve the representation within the subject while reducing the tangible book cost.

1 Like

Hello all, I am excited to be learning with you. I am an Instructional Designer at STCC and will be supporting the First Year Experience project as well as learning so that I can support others in their use and creation of OER. I first started looking at and working with OER when I was at UMass Amherst, and love promoting low or no cost resources when I work with faculty. This will be my first experience on the authoring side.
Marisha

1 Like

Hello folks, my name is Junior Peña (He/Him/His pronouns) and I serve as Director for Student Diversity, Equity, and Belonging at Fitchburg State University. I am part of the support team for Fitchburg State and will focus on integrating a critical race/identity lens perspective to the work we do with our content.

Im excited to learn about this work in general and find ways to integrate some of the learning with other projects at Fitchburg State.