Session 1: Introductions (October 2022 B Cohort) Summary and Project Updates

Hello @oct22-b-cohort !

There’s nothing you need to do with this thread right now. It’s just a placeholder for something you’ll do as part of your Week 1 Homework. I’ll have more information during our first meeting :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to chatting more tomorrow and getting to know each other. See you all then!

-Kaitlin

Good first week. I have signed the MOU and posted my introduction in the Cohort introduction for Trig. There were no major challenges, just learning another website navigation but that should resolve quickly. I’m excited about learning about OER and what is available. Aft4er glancing at the first 5 slides for next week, the publishing process is what I’m looking forward to learning more about. I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

1 Like

Hello again, @oct22-b-cohort !

It was wonderful to meet so many of you, and see all teams in our cohort represented at our first session! The main focus of today’s session was to get to know one another, understand how our sessions will be structured, and learn about Rebus’ tools and approaches.

We also spent a bit of time discussing Rebus’ collaborative approach to publishing, and how a larger community around a resource can not only make it stronger, but also help maintain it down the line. Our approach hinges on thinking about communications, accessibility, formatting, and more at each stage to really harness the global potential of OER. And these stages can and most likely will be flexible, and thus play out in different ways for each team — that’s what the model is built to do!

We also discussed the tools we use for the Textbook Success Program like Curriculum Hub in Google, for instance, we also mentioned the Rebus Community Forum, where this recap is posted and where we will conveniently streamline ALL our cohort communication. All materials will be available to you throughout the program. We encourage you to share your questions here! Please note that you can use the tag @oct22-b-cohort for conversations that include all cohort members. In addition, you can also write direct messages to individuals, not only in your cohort, but the entire forum space. Refer to the video tutorials in your handout for a more in-depth overview of the forum and its features.

If you haven’t yet, I kindly ask you to complete this week’s activities as outlined in your session handout:

• Respond below with your introduction, Agree to the Memorandum of Understanding for our cohort.
  • Write a brief introduction to the forum titled: Who’s in the cohort? including your role on the project and the dream goal you have for it.

To let each other know of the progress you are making as you are working through the tasks of the week, I kindly request that you share your team updates with me and the cohort by replying to this post with the following information. Please make sure to post prior to our next session, so I can read what you write and prepare my responses:

• What activities have you managed to complete?
  • What challenges have you faced and what solutions have you found to address those?

Leave a few thoughts around the items that excite you, you would like to know more about, or you have questions about with regards to the upcoming Session 2: Project Scoping [Read the initial 5 slides]

If you have any questions or need any clarification on anything, don’t hesitate to reach out!

Looking forward to seeing you all next week! :slight_smile:

-Kaitlin

Hello all,
It was great to meet everyone who participated in yesterday’s session. I have signed the MOU, and I look forward to increasing my footprint in the world of OER. I plan to do that by learning all I can about OER tools, platforms, and communities. In this project, I hope to improve my authoring and adaptation skills without reinventing the wheel as it relates to content that is already available for Finite Math. I expect to learn to navigate the forum and hub as we move along

1 Like

Great first week. It was nice meeting you all in the first-week session. I have signed the MOU and completed the “Who is the Cohort Forum.” Nothing major challenging issues this week, hope to learn more about OER in the upcoming sessions.

1 Like

Hey cohort team members!
I too completed the MOU and Introduction forums. Right now, my biggest challenge is learning to navigate the Rebus Community hub. I do appreciate all of the linking to resources and emails that are sent out, keeping the cohort informed. I’m excited to get started with project and discussing how to create the best open resources we can.

1 Like

I forgot to comment on “Leave a few thoughts around the items that excite you, you would like to know more about, or you have questions about with regards to the upcoming Session 2: Project Scoping.” Here it is:

My one comment is around our subject matter expertise. To me, math publishing textbooks were all looking the same before OER started to become popular. Having to choose which $100 textbook was the better book was a tough choice. So, how do we design a textbook that is different than what is already out there?

1 Like

Weekly update:
Yesterday I reviewed the materials from the last meeting and rewatched the video to make sure I am ready for today’s meetings. I think the most challenging thing is knowing where to go for different needs. We have a vast number of materials that we have access to, and I’m trying to get a grasp on where to go for certain things. So far it appears we will communicate mainly through the Rebus forum. I also appreciate the Handouts from the individual sessions with a checklist of the things we must complete. I found myself clicking around in the Rebus forums under Suggested Topics and later realized I was no longer in the posts for Cohort B. :frowning: But now I think I’m getting more familiar and hope that with a few more meetings all of these puzzle pieces will fit nicely together. See y’all later today!

1 Like

Hi,

It is a pleasure meeting online. I work with Group B College Algebra. MOU is signed. I am getting acquainted with the OER material and website. Exploring OER is very exciting. There are no major issues.

I look forward to working with you.

1 Like

I am excited to get started -

I have now caught up on the introduction & signed the MOU. I’m looking forward next week to getting started on outlining outcomes - it really opens the door to begin sculpting the results.

1 Like

Hi all,
I’m joining the team a little late, but I’m excited to meet all of you and work with you. I have signed the MOU. I will be working with the Finite Math team, and I’m looking forward to being a part of the team. I’ve got a bit of a learning curve with the Rebus forum, but I’m figuring it out.

1 Like

Good Morning,
I’m just joining the college algebra cohort, so I am catching up. I have signed the MOU and have posted my introduction. I stil learning how to navigate the Rebus community, but the video did help. I’m looking forward to reviewing the project scope as we move to develop a course.

1 Like

Welcome to the team @gbradley !

If you have any questions along the way or need support navigating the Rebus Community forum, please reach out! :slight_smile: