Session 1. Introductions

Hi everyone, I’m following up with the chat transcript from our session today. Please see my quick recap below.

Today’s main focus was to get to know one another, understand how our sessions will be structure, and learn about Rebus’ tools and approaches. We asked each other to share some information about our projects and aspirations. Over this week, please:

1. Respond below with your introduction, including your role on the project and the dream goal you have for it.
  2. Agree to the Memorandum of Understanding for our cohort.
  3. Create a project homepage for your project (which will be updated over the course of our program)

We also spent a bit of time discussing Rebus’ collaborative approach to publishing, and how a larger community around a resource can not only make it stronger, but also help maintain it down the line. Our approach hinges on thinking about marketing, accessibility, formatting, and more at each stage to really harness the global potential of OER and what it can do. And these stages can be flexible, and play out in different ways on your projects — that’s what the model is built to do! We also discussed how being transparent about the process of creation can invite others to contribute and be involved in projects, whether in big ways or small. The project homepage is a great way to be public and reduce duplication of work and instead lets us combine our efforts.

The remainder of the session covered the Rebus platform and the different areas that you will likely spend your time, namely, the cohort discussion space and your project home. @stacy.katz, @mcdougallc, Mary, please feel free to connect with me if you’d like to arrange an introduction to this space for those in your teams who couldn’t make today’s session.

We also talked about the cohort tag (@feb21-cohort) and how this can be used to notify everyone in the cohort, and looked at the Direct Messaging functionality on the platform. We briefly discussed tools like Pressbooks, Hypothesis, and Now Comment (thanks @harriet.fayne for the recommendation!). We ended our discussion with questions on the platform, including project homepages.

Let me know if there’s anything I missed. :slight_smile: I want to thank you all for joining today, and for sharing your introductions!