Session 8: Authoring and Editing Logistics (May 2024 B Cohort)

Hello @may24b-cohort ,

I want to remind you that we’ll be meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, July 23, from 1:00-2:30 p.m. Central for our next session: Authoring and Editing Logistics.

Here are some key links for the session:

See you tomorrow!

Activity Tracking Template
Hopefully this Activity and Tracking Template is a Working Document.
Thanks for your support and patience.
Ms. Milton

Author Guide Template
I think I am getting the hang of this making a copy and transferring the information to the May2024 B Forum.
Thanks
Ms. Milton

Copy of Session 8 Handout
As one of the Medical Surgery II Cohort Leaders, I like to take the time and answer the Self-Reflection Checklist Statements so that we are abreast of the Cohort’s progress during this phase.
Ms. Milton

Thanks for a great session today, @may24b-cohort! Here are some key links and a recap from the session:

Key Links:

Session 8 helped emphasize the importance of authoring and editing logistics because a carefully planned transparent workflow can help your teams move through this stage smoothly.

You can guide your collaborators in their writing and editing efforts by means of adapting the following documents to fit the purpose of your OER project.

1. First, a clearly defined author guide will help your authors create content with accessibility, equity, and open pedagogy in mind.
  2. Second, a content tracking sheet will help gather content items in an organized manner.

We also briefly mentioned Author Agreements as documents that could help clarify expectations for members in larger teams or instances when smaller teams work with people whom they haven’t collaborated with before.

Writing a sample chapter can be especially helpful for projects with more than one contributing author because it does a variety of things for your collaborators:

1. It conveys the desired tone and style(s) of your writing. Seeing an example of a well-executed idea or chapter can help other authors with their drafts.
  2. It determines the desired sequence of textual and non-textual elements in the chapters. This is a chance for you all to test the chapter structure you worked on last week.
  3. It demonstrates your standards for accessibility and inclusive, culturally relevant materials.

In the second part of our session, we talked about editing, which is important in that it gives your OER structure and appeal and thereby significantly impacts how useful it is for learners. The editing process – whether it’s more substantial editing or more focused on copyediting and proofreading – can benefit from the diverse perspectives in your teams as it puts you in a position to push for the changes that place equity at the core of your work.

Since there is no “one-size-fits-all" approach to editing workflows, you can determine your teams’ approach by considering the following few pieces of advice:

1. Editing needs time, so plan well for it. Be intentional with your time and energy by avoiding too many phases of passing content back and forth between team members.
  2. Be sure to foreground exactly what type of feedback you are looking for. It’s okay to be directive here and provide a list and/or style sheet that lays out what exactly should be checked.
  3. For the project manager – be your team’s decision maker and help everybody stay on track. Model positive interactions.

Centrally, we always suggest: Don’t let great be the enemy of good. Don’t dwell on making everything perfect on the first go. Remember that OER are living documents with opportunities for improvement in future versions.

Homework:

Please note that both the adaptation of your team’s author guide and the writing of a sample chapter are homework activities you can access from the session handout. We recommend that you adapt and further develop these documents together with your teams and then share them with everybody as they embark to create or adapt content for your OER.

To prepare for your transition into the Textbook Success Program Phase 2, we want to briefly speak to the logistics, expectations, and cohort communication.

Concerning the logistics, we would like to ask you to complete the following two activities:

1. Indicate your availability for monthly meetings in a scheduling poll that the LOUIS grant organizers will send out to help us schedule the monthly meetings for the upcoming months.
  2. Provide feedback and inform phase 2 planning by taking the TSP Phase 1 Feedback Survey.

As for the expectations regarding our monthly meetings in Phase 2, we want to highlight that we will continue to support your teams in whatever capacity we at Rebus and LOUIS can. As your facilitator, I will invite your input prior to sessions, make useful connections regarding your project goals and progress, facilitate your in-forum and in-session sharing, assist you in finding solutions for challenges, and share relevant updates and news from the open education community.

In exchange, I hope that you will also actively engage in our monthly conversations. You can find our responsibilities detailed in both your cohort MOU and syllabus documents. I will update the latter document with our new meeting times once they have been finalized.

I look forward to continuing to work with you in Phase 2, and I thank you for all of your hard work and participation thus far!

editing exercise

Hi Brian, Do we have a meeting today? July 30th? It is not in my calendar in Outlook like usual and I can’t remember from last week if you said there wasn’t one. I’m so sorry!

@ashoem, we don’t have a meeting today. Our next session will be on August 6. As we’re going into Phase 2, we’ll be having monthly meetings rather than weekly meetings. There should be more info coming from LOUIS about scheduling the remaining monthly sessions for Phase 2.

Attendees from LOUIS cohorts should have received calendar invitations for the August 6th meeting. I do not yet see calendar invites for monthly check in meetings with Rebus beyond that during Phase 2 of our project.

Our Affordable Learning administrator is currently on parental leave and should be back at the end of August. I’m assuming that we will see more invites to come!

Best,
Hannah

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments transmitted with it, is intended solely for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and/or EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments and immediately contact the sender by replying to this email or contact the sender at the telephone numbers listed above. Thank you!

2 Likes

Bryan, do you have an individual email I can send my response to? I do not want my reply to go to others.