Updates on Formatting - Sight Reading for Guitar

Hi Chelsea - just want to say how absolutely awesome the website looks! It’s such a great approach, and I’m still in love with the idea of those events. And really, very well done on the site. We’ll definitely give it a boost, especially as we approach release time :smile:

2 Likes

@apurva @zoe Thanks both of you for the encouragement. I’ll certainly keep you posted.

Apurva, I will make the change you requested, no problem. May I ask you a quick favor? I embedded videos to the Intro (which has 2 videos), Unit 1 (which has two videos), Unit 2 (which has 1 video) and Unit 3 (which has 1 video). Would you be able to adjust the size and placement of the videos so they look nice? Perhaps the units with two videos can feature them side by side and the units with one video unit can feature the video centered.

Finally, quick question: Nadine suggested that I add a paragraph about myself under a heading About the Author. Do you think I should do that? If so, where should I place the short paragraph about myself, in the Intro or in the back of the book somewhere? What do people normally do? Thank you!

Thanks, Chelsea! I appreciate you making the change.

Let me first say that the videos look great! I watched a few minutes of each of the clips, and they are filmed and edited wonderfully. Kudos to you, Hassan, and Nadine (and anyone else I might be missing out)!

The video thumbnails are actually auto-generated in both web and other formats when you enter the URL in the Rebus Press. So the size of the videos is not something we can control. As for placement, side-by-side placement is not possible for the same reasons, but we can definitely centre-align both the videos, like so:

This can be done using the same alignment tools that you would for text, and will not have any drastic/undesired effect on the export formats. The changes in the image above are not live, but just previewed so you can see what it looks like. Let me know what you think, and if you have any trouble implementing this change.

Great suggestion from Nadine! It’s typical to have a separate “About the Author” section in the Back Matter, so you could include a short paragraph, and if you feel comfortable, a high resolution photo as well. See this example here from the Media Innovation and Entrepreneurship open textbook. Some books do have this listed in the front matter, like Blueprint for Success, if you’d prefer to have this section closer to the Introduction. Have a think, and feel free to proceed either way. :slight_smile:

@apurva Hi Apurva! Thanks for the quick response. I did add a section in the Back Matter called About the Author and Composers. Also, no problem about not being able to alter that size of the videos. However, I like the centering option. I tried to center the videos but I was unable to do it. Would you mind explaining how I can center them? I’m sorry, I don’t know code at all. I simply tried to center them by highlighting the video and clicking the centering icon, with no luck, of course.

Nice start to the ‘About the Author and Composers’ section! :slight_smile:

Regarding the videos, here’s an easy way to make sure that they are centered:

1. In the chapter, switch to the Text Editor.
  2. Then, switch back to the Visual Editor. The video URL should now be displayed, instead of the thumbnail (don’t worry - the thumbnail will still be displayed in the chapter).
  3. Click on the URL and the centering icon.
  4. Preview to see if the video is centered. Another test could be to switch back to the Text Editor, where the URL will be displayed like so:
    <p style="text-align: center;">https://YOUTUBE URL HERE</p>
  5. Save your changes.

Alternatively, you could:

1. In the chapter, switch to the Text Editor.
  2. Add <p style="text-align: center;"> before the URL and </p> after the URL.
  3. Preview and save changes.

Let me know how you get on.