Volunteer Sign-up

Hi Christina,

That sounds great! I’m always happy to coordinate with other copyeditors. I look forward to hearing from you! :slight_smile:

Hi @leanne and @chrs229, thank you both for being willing to help with copy editing books in the Intro to Philosophy series! We have two books that are at approximately the same stage in need of copy editing, and it’s wonderful that you are both willing to help so we can get these worked on at the same time.

The Aesthetics book has some chapters ready for copy editing already, and the Epistemology book should have some ready soon. You can see the chapter titles for each on the Public Table of Contents for the series.

The main difference between the two is that the Aesthetics book is significantly longer: not only does it have 11 chapters (while Epistemology has 8), many of the chapters in the Aesthetics book are a fair bit longer than those in the Epistemology book. So besides the topic, there is that difference between them.

I am hoping that once the chapters are ready for copy editing, we might be able to have the copy editing done within four weeks, if that’s possible–so, by mid-March or so. Please let me know your thoughts on that, via email if you want: christina.hendricks@ubc.ca

Do either of you have a preference for which book you’d rather work on?

Thank you again for your help! This project is only working because so many people are willing to put in some time here and there on various parts. Someday I’ll make a count of all the people who have contributed so far…it’s quite a lot!

1 Like

Hi Christina,

Given the timeline and my current commitments, I would prefer to work on the shorter Epistemology book. Does that work for you, @chrs229?

Looking forward to contributing to this project!

Cheers,
Leanne

Hey Christina and Leanne,

That works for me - I should be able to get through at least most of the Aesthetics book by that deadline (depending on how long each chapter is). I’m ready to get started on what’s available; let me know if there are any particular protocols I should follow!

Best,
Chris

@chrs229 Excellent! I’m glad this is all working out so well.

@christina.hendricks I’ve had a preliminary look at the Author’s Guidelines for this project. Are there any additional style notes for these particular books that Chris and I should review before we get started in the few weeks?

Thanks!
Leanne

Hi @leanne and @chrs229,

Thank you so much for volunteering! Yes, the author guidelines has most of we have so far that might be useful for copy editing. It has a style sheet at the end that doesn’t have everything needed, probably, but it’s a start. And if you have questions not covered please let me know and we can add to the style guide.

There is also a document about how to import content into Pressbooks, and the “Accessibility” and “Images” sections might have some relevant info, including how images need to be attributed and have alternative text (unless they are decorative). Mostly those things would just be for you to maybe flag to me if they’re missing, rather than you fixing them.

Chris, I have your email address and can give you access to a folder with chapters from the Aesthetics book that are ready to review. Leanne, could you send me your email address so I can give you access to chapters for the Epistemology book when they’re ready? (None are ready yet, but hopefully soon!). You can write to me at: christina.hendricks@ubc.ca.

I’m happy to try to answer any questions along the way too!

Hello, my name it Patrick Anderson, and I am currently faculty in the philosophy department at Grand Valley State University. I came across this project while searching for open source philosophy textbooks, and I would love to be involved. I am most interested in contributing the “Radical Social Theories” chapter in the Social-Political Philosophy book. From what I can tell from the project updates, that book is currently seeking a new editor and the project outline may change. At this point, I just wanted to express my willingness and interest in contributing. I have also posted in the social-political philosophy thread. If this project is still going forward, I would like to collaborate any way I can.

Email: anderspa@gvsu.edu
Faculty Page: https://www.gvsu.edu/philosophy/anderson-patrick-142.htm

1 Like

Hi Patrick, I’m sorry for my very delayed reply. Thank you for expressing your interest! This book now has a new editor and he is working on a new chapter outline. I will pass your info on to him and ask him to get in touch. Thanks again!

Hello

My name is Jonathan Lopez and I would like to express interest in authoring a chapter for the Philosophy of Science book, either chapters 3, 4, or 11. I completed my MA at UBC, specializing in the Philosophy of Science, and have previously contributed to the Epistemology book in this series. (Chapter 6: Epistemology, Probability, and Science). I’m happy to send over any more information you might require.

Best,
Jonathan

1 Like

Hi Jonathan, I’m glad you’re interested! I can connect you with the book editor for the Philosophy of Science book, Eran Asoulin. Could you send me an updated version of your CV? (email: christina.hendricks@ubc.ca) And could I share with Eran your chapter from Epistemology?

Thank you for expressing interest!