French Team Planning Thread

@andrewhorning and @tatavali, I know that you two are still surveying the landscape of existing OER for French. Please feel free to post what you need and/or find here so that I and others can assist you in your inventory

1 Like

Hi @Lashleyed and @tatavali,

I am thinking that our “topic” or project scope will be something along these lines:

• We want to explore what OER French texts currently exist in the hope that we may find something to adapt for our Idaho purposes adding ACTFL references and resources as well as high-frequency comprehensible input readings within the scope of an OER French 101 text.

This is not final. I haven’t officially discussed this with Valia yet. It may change some.

Cheers!

Andrew

1 Like

Hi @Lashleyed

You mentioned on today’s ZOOM teleconference another world languages group who are discussing ACTFL within their project. Please let @tatavali and I know who that is. I know I will definitely be interested.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi again @Lashleyed

Please add @tatavali and I so we can have access to Pressbooks. Kindly reply when that task is complete so we know when that is done.

Thanks,

Andrew

Here’s a response to all of your recent messages:

I think, based on what you shared this morning, you have the right approach for you all.

Looking at my notes, I cannot immediately recall who mentioned ACTFL. You may want to reach out to the whole World Languages group as you are likely a better messenger on this than I am.

I want to make sure that you have some clear guidance when I provide access to pressbooks, so that is the reason I haven’t added you yet. You will get an invite to join.

Hi @Lashleyed

You said:

Looking at my notes, I cannot immediately recall who mentioned ACTFL.

I see elsewhere that Sarah Sweeney might be a resource for ACTFL-related topics. Is this by chance the name you were thinking of?

Andrew

@ssweeney is with COERLL. Perhaps also ACTFL. She’s a great person to talk to.

2 Likes

Bonjour/Hi @apurva, @Lashleyed, and @tatavali,

Valia and I have further discussed our topic and it is evolving to become the following:

• Create for students of French two open sets of five readings each (total = 10 readings) using high-frequency vocabulary and French-English cognates targeting ACTFL’s Novice Low and Mid proficiency levels. See the blue region of the image below for further detail.

This is not yet final but we are getting closer. When our topic becomes clearer, I understand that we are supposed to post this to our “public project homepage.” What is the path to arrive there?

Andrew

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Andrew! I like the direction this is taking, and the number of readings sounds sufficient given your current team and resources.

I’m linking to your project homepage. Once you’re logged in at that link, you’ll see that you now have editing permissions as an administrator. Take a look at our user guide for how to edit this page. You can even edit the team and give Valia or others admin permission to edit the homepage. :slight_smile:

Leigh is right, Sarah is with COERLL and I’ve introduced her in the team meet & greet thread. Hopefully she will chime in once things have calmed down a bit.

I think Jonathan might be referring to me — I brought up ACTFL at our session last week, since you had shared it as a resource/standard that you would be using. Reaching out to someone on their team might be a great idea, and as Jonathan suggested, would be a good connection for all three language teams to have. Let us know how you get on if you decide to contact them!

@apurva and @andrewhorning: I found in some other notes that the ACTFUL reference came from a faculty representative at Idaho State University when I attended their recent OER showcase. Andrew, I will get you and @tatavali in touch with that group of faculty. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great! Thanks for making the introductions. We’re excited at the potential collaboration! :slight_smile: