Project Archive: Cognitively Accessible Math For Adult Learners

This is a snapshot of project information archived on 2 September 2022. Please contact the project team for most recent updates.

Cognitively Accessible Math For Adult Learners

Subject: Mathematics

Audience: Developmental

Video: Introduction To Mary Ellen Carter Academy's Times Tables Course - YouTube

Created date: December 4, 2019

Updated date: March 26, 2021

License:

• Attribution

Needs:

• Contributors

Description:

[continued from above] …(visual, auditory and kinesthetic) reinforcement and practice could enable students to learn math well and deeply. Advances in technology make it possible to scale and share these ideas.

I think the OER community can create and disseminate interactive, multisensory OER to open doors of opportunity, whether for evolving “career certificates” or already established adult education credentials. Whether it’s lessons using manipulatives (especially in rural areas or correctional institutions where internet access is limited) or interactive OER at sites such as geogebra.org , there is so much potential for reaching the adult basic education community.

Yes, this has to be more than a “textbook.” I’ll need a team :slight_smile: I’d like to start with my college’s “Transition” textbook (I’ve adaped and shared the first chapter as OER at oercommons.org) and revise it to have more interactive activities and more structure and review. However! If someone or some people were to take on leading roles, I’d be more than happy to swich and adapt a different scope and sequence, such as something with a life skills or specific career focus.

This course would serve to build conceptual knowledge so that learners could then consider college and even university options for continuing education. There are so many people whose learning potential has not been met!

I’d like to create a small module with UDL elements … and then keep building. Sometimes the “universal” design will mean having several options for representation rather than one presentation trying to provide everything.

Short Description:

I want to create materials and community applying Universal Design for Learning principles, and design cognitively accessible mathematics for adult learners for whom learning math may have been unpleasant, terrifying and/or perceived as impossible.

Updates are at the end :slight_smile: BUT

is where I’m putting rough rough (ROUGH!) drafts.

There would be a “textbook” with interactive (digital and concrete) experiences to build conceptual understanding of basic number principles and their applications to “math problems” and daily life.

Many widely used adult basic education math resources are accelerated repetition of procedural instruction. When that proves ineffective for many students, they are often deemed “not able.”

In my work at The New Community School, a middle/secondary college-preparatory school for students with specific language learning disorders, I saw that carefully constructed materials with multisensory [continued below]

Outline

Introduction

Introduction of where we find ‘negative’ numbers with temperature and money. See Integers: Introduction to the concept, with activities comparing temperatures and money. | OER Commons

1.2 – Number Lines

Students will explore number lines using positive and negative integers. Students will practice number sense with different scales of number lines. See Integers lesson 1.2 | OER Commons

Geogebra activity for placing numbers on a number line

Resources

Participants