Project Archive: Writing and Publishing in Digital Environments

This is a snapshot of project information archived on 2 September 2022. Please contact the project team for most recent updates.

Writing and Publishing in Digital Environments

Subject: Post-secondary Education

Book Language: English

Audience: This book is intended for use by college writing instructors and can be used across disciplines.

Book Cover: https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/business4/uploads/rebus_new/original/1X/6889312285d0a0bc910809f237c2b02f03574186.jpeg

Created date: March 2, 2021

Updated date: March 19, 2022

Target Release Date: 2022-01-01

License:

• Attribution
  • Non-Commercial

Needs:

• Authors
  • Peer Reviewers
  • Editors

Description:

About the Project

Welcome to this project! I hope you will consider collaborating with me.

The idea for this project stemmed from a challenge I had in my own teaching, which was finding the right resources for students in my college-level Writing for Digital Environments course, which typically enrolls students from a wide range of majors. I began by having them read a print textbook on the topic and quickly realized that I wanted students to be reading and interacting with websites as they learned the concepts. I wanted them to be able to experience the effectiveness of quality web writing–or get annoyed by bad web writing!–while they were learning about strategies that keep readers’ attention on the web. I also wanted to be able to create a digital textbook that actually stays up-to-date with the constantly changing landscape of web writing and web design.

I hope this site will eventually serve as a tool in which students at different institutions will also contribute their voices, analyzing and evaluating websites they are most interested in and adding those contributions to this work.

Getting Involved

To learn a bit more about me (Jenna Sheffield, the project manager), feel free to

visit my website

(although, admittedly, it’s in much need of an update!) Feel free to contact me with questions on the Writing and Publishing in Digital Environments project homepage or Tweet

@packjenna

. To learn more about the project, including viewing a tentative timeline and outline,

visit this Google Doc that contains more detailed information

Short Description:

Writing and Publishing in Digital Environments

is a textbook for college student writers across disciplines who want to learn to write clear, compelling prose in a variety of digital environments. This textbook, which English and Communications faculty may find particularly useful in their courses, was designed with the following goals:

Students will be able to experience the effectiveness of web writing in the moment as they are learning new concepts.

The digital textbook will stay up-to-date with the constantly changing trends in web writing and web design practices.

The textbook will become a hub for students’ analyses of and questions about websites they are interested in exploring.

This book covers a wide array of web writing concepts, with an emphasis on rhetorically aware writing; audience-centered design; and algorithm-conscious structures.

Outline

Chapter 1: Introduction

Chapter 2: Why Rhetorical Theory Matters When We Write for the Web

Chapter 3: Common Web Writing Genres: Characteristics & Purposes

Chapter 4: Principles of Writing for the Web

Chapter 5: Web Design Strategies for Non-Designers

Chapter 6: Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Basics for Writers: How to Get Your Writing Discovered

Chapter 7: Conclusions

Resources

Participants