Project Summary: Ancillary Materials for Principles of Social Psychology

BASIC INFORMATION
Title: Ancillary Materials for Principles of Social Psychology
Lead Author: Rajiv Jhangiani (Kwantlen Polytechnic University) / @rajiv-jhangiani
Rebus Project Manager(s): Zoe Wake Hyde / @zoe
License: CC-BY
Target Audience: Undergraduate students
Subject: Psychology
Target Release Date: Fall 2017

PROJECT DESCRIPTION
This project primarily involves bringing together social psychologists to develop ancillary resources to support Principles of Social Psychology. The book already has large adoptions at UBC, Ohio State, and a few other smaller institutions (including KPU). The ancillaries might include a question bank, powerpoint slides, and an activity manual.

A secondary goal of this community will be to provide (and to peer review) suggestions for updates and improvements to the book itself.

BOOK DESCRIPTION
The first International edition of Principles of Social Psychology provides students with an introduction to the basic concepts and principles of social psychology from an interactionist perspective. The presentation of classic studies and theories are balanced with insights from cutting-edge, contemporary research. An emphasis on real world examples and applications is intended to guide students to critically analyze their situations and social interactions in order to put their knowledge to effective use.

HELP NEEDED
We currently need your help with:

• Development of ancillary materials, e.g.:
    • Question bank
    • Powerpoint slides
    • Activity manual

Get involved by joining the discussion below!

As the project progresses, we will need your help with further development & review of associated text.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE
If you’re excited by this project, but still not sure where you’d like to get involved, just sign up to the forum, and post below for project updates. Give us an idea of your background, particular area of expertise, and interests. We’ll follow up and make sure we find ways to have you participate!

RECOGNITION FOR CONTRIBUTORS
This project couldn’t happen without your participation. All contributing authors will be credited prominently in their chapter, the book, the metadata and promotional materials. All editors, reviewers and other contributors will also be credited.

TWEET THE PROJECT (less than 140 chars, copy-paste into Twitter)

Want to help create ancillary materials for an open social psychology textbook? Find out how to contribute here: http://bit.ly/socpsychmaterials

CURRENT PROJECT TEAM
@rajiv.jhangiani (lead author), @zoe (rebus project manager), @hugh, @lizmays, @jspiegelman, @kristie-dukewich, @hammond-tarry… and you?

Hello Rajiv,

Thanks for the invitation to sign up for the community. Not entirely sure how much use I’ll be - pretty swamped right now - but if YOU are doing it, I want to follow it! To answer your questions, my background is that I am an associate professor of Psychology in Baltimore, MD, USA and I have taught psychology for nearly 20 years. My primary course offerings are in Introductory, Abnormal, Social, and Developmental psychology (not all at the same time!). I’ve written, edited, and revised ancillaries for academic psychology textbooks for about 15 years for both professional publishing houses as well as OERs. I’ve worked on test banks, online quizzes, animation creation/scripting, instructor manuals, student study guides, PowerPoints, Crossword and Word Search creation, as well as dozens of reviews of upcoming texts. I hope that is the sort of information you’re looking for! Be well, my friend. Let me know when you’re in Baltimore. As I’ve promised, first crabcake is on my dime!

1 Like

Hi Jason,
Thank you so much! Your experience will be incredibly valuable for this project. Re: a timeline I am looking to have the deck completed over the summer (in time for Fall 2017 adoptions), so hopefully that makes it easier for you to participate. It looks like we will have a couple of chapters worth of model decks to work from as well.
Will def let you know if I am ever close to Baltimore. Dreaming of crabcakes now :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

I’m willing to work on designing instructor slides using principles from the Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Design, and basic design principles.

I will commit to designing at least 2 chapters worth of slides and creating a short(ish) screencast on principles of slide design to serve as models and instruction for other slide designers. I can deliver the slides & screencast by May 15th. At that point I should be able to tell you whether I can contribute more than that or not.

cheers
Kristie Dukewich

1 Like

@kristie.dukewich That’s awesome! Thank you Kristie. Your expertise in this domain will add significant value to this project and other similar ones to follow. I will also help create slide decks for this project, especially as I will teach Social Psychology this summer using this open textbook. Having your model slides in place by May 15 will allow me to follow your design lead.

Hi Rajiv. Count me in for some help with the test bank and I can also share some class activities. I will be able to work on this during May and June.

Thanks @hammon.tarry. I know @rajiv-jhangiani will be thrilled to have you contribute!

@hammond.tarry That is brilliant, thank you Hammond! I am working on a plan for the test bank so will be in touch about that. Activities are very welcome (we can harvest and remix many existing ones as well from places like NOBA), especially as mapped on to specific chapters in the book.

@kristie.dukewich Hi Kristie. Just confirming that you are developing two decks by May 15? Are you working on Chapters 1 and 2? The rest of us (and I am still trying to recruit more contributors) can then follow your model decks.

@jspiegelman Hi Jason. Phase 1 of this project is about building slide decks (based on two model decks that Kristie is producing). Phase 2 will be the question bank. Would you be interested/available to help create a couple of slide decks for this book over the summer?

@hammond.tarry Hi Hammond. Phase 1 of this project is about building slide decks (based on two model decks that Kristie is producing). Phase 2 will involve the question bank. Would you be interested/available to help create a couple of slide decks for this book over the summer?

@rajiv.jhangiani Yes, count me in.

@hammond.tarry Great, thank you! Kristie has finished the first (model) slide deck and has prepared a fabulous set of guidelines for the rest of us to follow. Since she is taking care of Chapters 1 and 2, would you be able to take on 3 and 4? I will then on 5 and 6. Hopefully Ben and @jspiegelman can also take on two each, which takes us to 10. I will share the model deck along with Kristie’s guidelines with you via email.

1 Like

@rajiv.jhangiani Great, thanks Kristie! Looking forward to you sending the materials along to me, Rajiv. I’ll get started when I get them.

@rajiv.jhangiani @jspiegelman sounds good! Has Jason picked 2 to work on already, or not? If not, I’ll take on 7/8.

I had picked one chapter only, as I was honestly very unsure of my ability to create PowerPoints in this particular style. I’m going to give Chapter 7 a go, but you can have Chapter 8 @cheungb @rajiv.jhangiani

@rajiv-jhangiani Is there a place where we should be uploading our materials to? I’m not done with my decks, but just wanted to see whether we are to hold onto all our materials until some determined time, or if we are just supposed to upload as we go. Thanks!

Hi @cheungb Yes, I just sent you the link to the folder via email.

Hi Rajiv
Can you send me the link where we can upload our materials, as I have chapter 3 and 4 slides ready. Which other chapters have been completed so far? Cheers.

@hammond.tarry I just emailed you the link. You are the first past the post.