Session 1 - Introductions (June 2021 Cohort)

Hello @june21-cohort! Thank you all for such a great introductory session yesterday! It was a pleasure to hear about your projects, and I’m excited to watch (and hopefully help) them unfold. As I mentioned yesterday, it’s great to see the wide variety of learners that your projects will be reaching and the important needs that you’ll be addressing with your work.

The main focus of our first session was to get to know one another, understand how our sessions will be structured, and learn about Rebus’ tools and approaches. We asked each other to share some information about our projects and aspirations. Over this week, please:

• Respond below with your introduction, including your role on the project and the dream goal you have for it.
  • Agree to the Memorandum of Understanding for our cohort.
  • Create a project homepage for your project. As I mentioned, this will be updated over the course of our program, so it’s totally fine if it’s very basic at this stage.

We also spent a bit of time discussing Rebus’ collaborative approach to publishing, and how a larger community around a resource can not only make it stronger, but also help maintain it down the line. Our approach hinges on thinking about marketing (or “storytelling” if you feel more comfortable with that term), accessibility, formatting, and more at each stage to really harness the global potential of OER and what it can do. And these stages can be flexible, non-linear, and play out in different ways with your projects. We also discussed how being transparent about the process of creation can invite others to contribute and be involved in projects, whether in big ways or small. The project homepage is a great way to be public and reduce duplication of work and instead lets us combine our efforts.

The remainder of the session covered the Rebus platform (where this recap is posted) and the different areas that you will likely spend your time, namely, the cohort discussion space and your project home. We also talked about the cohort tag (@june21-cohort) and how this can be used to notify everyone in the cohort, and we looked at the Direct Messaging functionality on the platform. We ended our discussion with questions about the platform.

As promised, here is a copy of the chat transcript for reference.

Next week, we’ll be discussing framing your project and project scoping. As reminder, all of our session handouts and slides are available in the Curriculum Hub. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them below or to send me a direct message. I look forward to seeing you all on Zoom next week and in this discussion space in the meantime. Thank you all for the important work you’re doing for your learners and for the larger open education community! Take care!

1 Like