Session 2 (LOUIS D). Project Scoping

Hi @oct22-d-cohort!

I’m looking forward to seeing you tomorrow for session 2, which will be about project scoping. The agenda will include the following. We’ll begin workshopping the project summary during the session!

• Session and program goals
  • Publishing process overview
  • Identify tools to help your team work productively
  • Discuss the value of open licenses for you OER
  • Locate OER that match your teaching intentions
  • Plan and share a project summary

Here are links to the slides and the handout .

I like forward to seeing you soon:)

Thanks for the excellent session today, @oct22-d-cohort! Before dropping a lot of information on you, I want to point out that the Week 2 homework (expected deliverables) is at the bottom of this recap announcement. I’ve included links to any documents and locations that are relevant to a particular task. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Otherwise, here’s the chat transcript from today. See below for Key Links, Recap, then the Homework Checklist. The final HW item is to post a response to this thread before Session 3!

Key Links

Recap

This session started off with a brief overview of the different stages of the open publishing process. Knowing what goes into publishing can help you as a creator plan for the work involved. The model depicted in the slides is cyclical to demonstrate that you will progress through the publishing process in unique ways, sometimes circling back or working in multiple stages all at one, in correspondence with the unique parameters in your project. There is no one way for all projects in our cohort, but understanding the different stages in the process, will help you plan ahead to better navigate those unique contexts.

Prior to our next session, please complete the activities listed on your Handout for Session 2 [link above], under the Homework Activities. I’ve copied the checklist to the bottom of this recap. The checklist includes further working on your Project Summary [link above], and starting to locate suitable OER in your discipline. As a reminder in the template, you’ll consider:

• Title: informative for reader and adopter.
  • About the project: Brief, highlight any unique elements or aspects about the resource
  • Audience: Think beyond the courseThe/classroom about student accessibility needs, reading levels, backgrounds, contexts, etc.
  • Significant Learning Outcomes: Phrasing Overarching OER Outcomes and more specific sub-goals can guide you in the location of suitable resources or inform you of gaps that you will need to fill.
  • About the content: list of topics or concepts covered, plus a brief structural breakdown of the book or course materials
  • Licence: Thinking about the permission you might (not) want to grant future adopters will help you define the licence of your choice down the road.
  • Team: list the full group of people involved in the project
  • Support or funding: mention institutional support and/or funding if applicable
  • Participation options: pathways to contact the team to get involved
  • Measures of Success: short and long-term goals that don’t solely need to be quantitative

Another important part of the Project Scoping stage is the coordination and forming of an equitable team. A first step in this process is for you to set up systems and tools that will help your team to organise and make transparent all project- related communication. This will also allow for everybody to feel fully involved and contribute seamlessly, i.e. access, discuss, write, edit, and/ or format your OER. If you haven’t done so yet, please finalise this setup with your teams.

Next week, we’ll continue to plan and finalise the vision for the project with our session on storytelling and communication. I look forward to connecting with you then again.

Reminder to take Baseline Survey

For those who haven’t yet taken our LOUIS baseline survey, this is a friendly reminder and invitation to do so. It will close on Sunday October 30, 2022.

Homework Checklist

I have contributed to the Project Summary draft that guides our team in the Scoping Process.
I have shared some of the relevant scoping information on our public-facing project homepage (click on your group, then the Project Summary thread).
I recognize the value of open licenses as a base for choosing an appropriate open license for our own project down the road.
My team discussed teaching intentions and student audience to help us locate suitable OER for inspiration or remixing purposes.
My team discussed the tools with which we will organize our content, streamline our communication, and coordinate our writing and publishing.
I started locating existing OER in my discipline.
I posted an end-of-Week 2 update to the Session 2 Thread. (see details in the prompt immediately below)

Share Team Progress Updates in Forum

To let each other know of the progress you are making as you are working through the tasks of the week, post your reply to Session 2: Project Scoping thread in the Discussion Forum prior to our next session:

• What activities have you managed to complete?

• What challenges have you faced and what solutions have you found to address those?

• Leave a few thoughts around the items with regards to the upcoming Session 3: Storytelling and Communications [Read the initial 5 slides]

• that excite you,
    • you would like to know more about,
    • or you have questions about.
2 Likes

I started locating existing OER in my discipline and found 5 Human Geography OER textbooks on merlot.org (thank-you, Emily Frank), and 24 full courses at Canvas Commons. I will recommend that my team continue this search on other available databases.

2 Likes

The Philosophy group met and started outlining the project scoping document. We met and outlined our meeting schedule, and also briefly discussed potential OER materials. We are looking forward to getting deeper involved with this project, and seeing what everyone creates!

1 Like

I am excited to learn more about story-telling in the context of OER development. Last year we remixed World History textbooks and focused on bringing in greater diversity. Sometimes adding a representative individuals story was the best way to do this.
(ps. I was not sure which slides, so stopped with the story-telling slide)

1 Like

The Western Civilization II team met today and we have continued to work on project scoping. We worked on the project summary worksheet, which has been posted in our team’s public facing homepage. We have stated an overview of what we want to achieve with this project, and will work on creating more specific goals over time. We all shared our motivators for working on this project and discussed steps we have taken to find existing OER that will be useful for us. We also worked on scheduling future cohort meetings and discussed potential means for communication amongst the team. Open and clear communication is an essential part of this project in all stages and working to find the best methods and platforms for communication is one potential challenge, So far we have found that email and google docs work well for us, but we are looking into other options for the future.
We are looking forward to discussing storytelling and how it will affect all aspects of the OER creation process.

1 Like

Homework checklist – 1) contributing ideas to Project Summary document but I am having a tough time getting around the Rebus Community site as I don’t really know where to post things. 2) I see no Project Summary thread for instance. 3) open licenses are very interesting and are valuable for folks that want to make information widely available for no cost to the learners. 4) our team knows we want to generate a resource that is useful for both high school and college learners. 5) We have started discussion on appropriate tools to organize, steamline, and coordinate but I am not familiar with all the tools yet. 6) I am finding OER in the discipline and have a spreadsheet started composed of textbooks or other online content sources. I need to upload syllabi into google docs but am not sure about where to put them. My technology learning curve is really huge right now.

End of week 2 summary: I am happy that I have been able to dabble in the checklist items and review the first 5 slides of Session 3. My challenges are figuring out how to find where I am supposed to be finding things in Rebus. For instance, CGRG 2013 Human Geography - Rebus Community is not a forum I can find without a link. Another link that looks important is this one: Syllabus October 2022 D Cohort. If I am not taking notes, I can’t find these again. I hope this session 3 can help me figure out the logic in the rebus discussion forums.

What excites me? Storytelling may be a fun way to communicate information. I am looking forward to finding out more about it. Is it anything like the storytelling with maps that ArcGIS uses?

See you all tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi @jibanez. I also have to bookmark the important Rebus links. If you’re wondering about the page organization of Rebus as a whole, the way to access our cohort from the main website would be: Rebus Community>Textbook Success Program>October 2022 D Cohort. Your specific The discussion threads can be found there.

One more thing for now: Your librarian liaison should be able to help troubleshoot most of your tech-related issues. However, if yo’d like to meet before the Week 5 one-on-ones let me know and I can send you my Calendly scheduling link for a quick Zoom conference.

Hi @martin.meder, @nortloff, and @brian.sherman. I’m just checking in to see if you had luck with the Project Summary template from Session 2.

Hi Joel, Thank you for reaching out! I am going to talk with Kayla at our meeting this Friday about these issues to see if I can get them straightened out before I bother you with them. See you later today, Juana

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments transmitted with it, is intended solely for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and/or EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments and immediately contact the sender by replying to this email or contact the sender at the telephone numbers listed above. Thank you!

1 Like

The World Regional Geography met for the first time on Friday. We have set up a Basecamp to facilitate collaborative work and communication. We’ve also begun working on the project summary to get started. We’ve also begun locating existing OER resources in this discipline.

One of the challenges we are facing is collaborative work, however, we are working out the kinks by utilizing Basecamp and Google drive where applicable.

1 Like

The Western Civilization II group met on Friday, October 28th and completed the initial items in our Project Summary document. We discussed challenges with navigating the Rebus Community. I am excited to participate in session 3 and learn more about storytelling. In the initial 5 slides, this material reminds me of the activities on story boarding that I do with my classes.

1 Like

I’m very excited at the prospect of tailoring the content to Louisiana. I think providing a course which is specific to a population, especially with micro, will create a much more engaging and vibrant experience for students.

I have viewed the Session 2 presentation/chats and uploaded my draft project summary.