Session 2: Project Scoping (May 23rd)

Hi @may23cohort!

I’m looking forward to seeing you tomorrow for Session 2, which will be about project scoping. The agenda will include the following. We’ll begin workshopping the project summary during the session.

• Identify tools to help your team work productively
  • Discuss the value of open licenses for you OER
  • Locate OER that match your teaching intentions
  • Plan and share a project summary

Here are links to the slides and the handout for Session 2.

If you haven’t yet done so, please post your updates from this past week under the Session 1 thread:

• What activities have you managed to complete?
  • What challenges have you faced and what solutions have you found to address those?
  • Leave a few thoughts around the items that excite you, you would like to know more about, or you have questions about with regards to the upcoming Session 2: Project Scoping [Read the initial 5 slides]

See you tomorrow! :grinning:

Becca

1 Like

Thanks for the excellent session today, @may23cohort. It was great to hear so many of your voices with questions and helpful comments. Before dropping a lot of information on you, I want to point out that the Week 2 homework (expected deliverables) is at the bottom of this recap announcement. I’ve included links to any documents and locations that are relevant to a particular task. Let me know if you run into any issues.
See below for Key Links, Recap, then the Homework Checklist. The final HW item is to post a response to this thread before Session 3!

Key Links

Recap

Today’s session was all about Project Scoping. We chatted about why having a clear understanding of the purpose and goals of your OER is critical to a successful publishing process - I think of Project Scoping as the W5H (who, what, when, where, why and how!) of your project. This is an exciting part of the publishing process, where you get to really think about what your project will look like!
A first step in this process is for you to set up systems and tools that will help your team collaborate, communicate, and stay organized during this process! This also allows for everybody to feel fully involved and contribute seamlessly, i.e. access, discuss, write, edit, and/ or format your OER. If you haven’t done so yet, please finalize this setup with your teams.

Prior to our next session, please complete the activities listed on your Handout for Session 2 [link above], under the Homework Activities. I’ve copied the checklist to the bottom of this recap. The checklist includes further working on your Project Summary [link above], and starting to locate suitable OER in your discipline. As a reminder in the template, you’ll consider:

Homework Checklist

Instructions: To make sure you are set up for our upcoming session next week, please check off all completed items on this checklist.

• I have contributed to a Project Summary draft that guides our team in the Scoping Process.
  • I have shared some of the relevant scoping information on our public-facing project homepage (click on your group, then the project summary).
  • I recognize the value of open licenses as a base for choosing an appropriate open license for our own project down the road.
  • My team discussed teaching intentions and student audience to help us locate suitable OER for inspiration or remixing purposes.
  • My team discussed the tools with which we will organize our content, streamline our communication, and coordinate our writing and publishing.
  • I started locating existing OER in my discipline.
  • I posted an end-of-Week 2 update to this Session 2 thread. (see details in the prompt immediately below)

Share Team Progress Updates in Forum

To let each other know of the progress you are making as you are working through the tasks of the week, post your reply to Session 2: Project Scoping thread in the Discussion Forum prior to our next session:

• What Session 2 activities have you managed to complete?

• What challenges have you faced and what solutions have you found to address those?

• Leave a few thoughts around the items with regards to the upcoming Session 3: Storytelling and Communications [Read the initial 5 slides]

• that excite you,
    • you would like to know more about,
    • or you have questions about.

Enjoy your week ahead and the long weekend, see you next Tuesday! And please reach out if you have any questions.

LG,
Becca

1 Like