Session 3. Marketing and Communications

@feb21-cohort, I hope you are all making slow and steady progress on your project homepages and project summaries. Please feel free to drop in updates, questions, etc. in the discussion space outside of our calls! If you can share your project summary drafts in progress before our session tomorrow, I’ll try to give it a quick read and we can chat about it as a group.

Tomorrow, our lesson will cover marketing and communications and why you should incorporate it into your early work. I’ll ask you all to think about what’s unique about your project, and what pieces of the story you would like to communicate to your team, and to others as you continue with the project.

Here are the resources for our session:

1. Handout: Marketing and Communications
  2. Slides: Marketing and Communications

Hi @feb21-cohort, thank you for such a great discussion this morning. I am very grateful to all of you for not only joining today but for your support and efforts to make the session such a dialogue! Thank you. :blush:

Project summaries and announcement

I’ve collected a list of all the project summaries that have been shared so far:

@misbell and @schillingk could you (or someone from your teams) share the summaries for your projects whenever these are ready?

As I said today, I’d love to announce the cohort and your projects to the wider community, so if you could update your summaries and home pages by the end of the month, that would be ideal. If you have calls for participation out, I will certainly flag that in my communications!

Resources and Chat Transcript

I’ve saved our chat transcript, which is chockfull of resources. Take a look at the round-up:

There were requests for more information about listservs, conferences, and other opportunities, which I’ve grouped together:

Lastly, I’ve gathered a list of our Twitter handles for easy access (feel free to add yours in the thread if I missed it):

Session Recap

Marketing and open communications are all about developing a community around your book, and ultimately gathering a group of adopters that will help maintain your book in the long-term. Rebus’ own marketing philosophy is built on the principles of openness, collaboration, and inclusion. The way we see it, marketing is really a series of connections: more often between people & projects, and in our case, between collaborators and communities.

Marketing is about creating and telling a story that will resonate with others and inspire them to join you. The story of a book starts from day zero, right from the moment you thought about creating the resource. So get the word out early and announce your project’s existence, and don’t forget to highlight why you decided to start the project or what makes it unique.

And keep this up! Frequent communications will mean that the project stays on the radar for those outside the team, and helps build the momentum leading up to the official release (take a look at our list of tactics).

Being public about your project work also ensures that it isn’t being replicated elsewhere – others may just decide to join forces with you instead. Instead of thinking of marketing as a single phase in the publishing process, try to look at each stage through this lens (look at our slides for some hints on how to weave marketing in every phase).

Make sure that your communication is providing value to others: whether by surfacing the advantages that a particular task will bring to the project or by sharing success stories when milestones are hit. Don’t forget about your biggest marketing asset: the people around your project. Since the project is made up of you and others, we don’t want you to hide behind the scenes! It’s important to recognize you and the work you do — so showcase the team, solicit quotes to share, and get them involved. This also makes your project more compelling to others, as this taps into the general audience’s interests in the personal aspects of publishing.

Finally, remember that a big portion of marketing and communications is listening: validating and recognizing external comments is important to build the connection and trust with those new to the project or simply following it. Respond to comments in a timely manner, and you’ll be surprised at how this small human touch can set your project apart from others. The support of those around your project can have a bigger impact than any other tactics you may employ.

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that I’ve briefly introduced your projects in this month’s Rebus Community newsletter! Now that folks know a bit about your projects, we can build on this momentum to share more with them as your project homepages and summaries become clearer. :smiley:

1 Like