Session 4 (LOUIS D). Growing and Managing Teams

Hello, @oct22-d-cohort. I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow for our session on Growing and Managing Teams. Here are the slides and handout .

Nudge reminder: As you wrap up the Week 3 Storytelling and Communications tasks, remember to post your progress in the Session 3 thread, along with any questions or issues you may have run into. If you weren’t able to get a task done, you can use your response to talk through that as well. Feel free to touch on time constraints, etc. We can talk through those issues at the beginning of Session 4.

Thanks for the productive session today, @oct22-d-cohort ! Here’s the chat transcript. The full checklist for Week 4 is listed at the bottom of this recap but there’s one thing I want to highlight here, at the top: for the Session 5 one-on-one meetings, each group will need to sign up for a 15-minute time slot in this Nov 14th Sign-up Sheet. The document also asks a number of questions I’ll use to be as helpful as I can during that time. As of right now, three groups are signed up. Two openings remain. I look forward to seeing your groups next week:)

Recap

This session emphasizes the importance of collaboration and teamwork in the Textbook Success Program (TSP). As we see it, collaboration is an Indigenous way of being that allows us to step out of the dominant Western mindset of individual, single hero-modes of working. When we share and when we work as a collective, we can have more impact and do more good in the education sphere. The learning objectives and activities in this session will prompt you to think about your role and contributions to the OER project and about how to effectively work in your teams through the rest of the TSP.

Collaboration works best when we adopt the following three principles:

• work together as equals;
  • develop shared meaning about what we are doing;
  • show consideration for each other.

Many of our TSP graduates noted that the commitment of their team members to the OER creation process and the identity as a group have deepened over time, especially when rooted in a “shared power.”

We acknowledge that collaboration takes time. But who says it’s less efficient in the long run? Of course, in the short-term, meetings take time. We think shared ideas, feelings of being respected and being on the same wavelength, are a good investment for the future. It will enable everybody’s growth and connection on multiple levels, including institutional capacity and greater contributions to society. We, your cohort, and your teams learn from those collaborations, and all of us learn to collaborate better in the process.

The following activities were part of our fourth session (find session materials linked above):

1. Individually reflect on your role and contributions in your team [slide 8]
  2. Indicate to cohort whether you can commit to the TSP team approach [slide 10],
  3. Discuss with your team the roles and responsibilities in your team [template linked above]

Homework Activity

Please continue your conversation around your project roles and responsibilities when you next meet with your team. These roles and tasks may shift over time, but it’s critical you begin your project work with clear expectations on who joins your team and what contributions they bring as humans and professionals. The session template [linked above] can guide you in your discussion.

Homework Checklist

I understand the values of collaborating with my team and want to model being an active, engaged team member.
In my team, we have identified key roles and decided who’s going to take on specific responsibilities to ensure the success of our project. (Refer to the Roles and Responsibilities template for help.)
In my team, we have identified gaps (technical expertise, instructional design, subject matter voices, industry experts, etc.) and we discussed how to fill them.
In my team, we are in the process of setting up an effective project management system that helps clarify expectations, document the project’s progress, or resolve challenges within the team.
Our group has signed up for a 15-minute time slot for the one-on-one meetings during Session 5. [Add your details to the Nov 14th Sign-Up Sheet. See below for more about how to prepare for the Session 5 1:1 meetings.]

Instructions for next week’s 1:1 meetings.

Next week, your teams will meet with me 1:1 for 20 min each. This will give us the opportunity to talk about your projects in more detail, and for me as your facilitator to more clearly understand what you are working towards. I will spend some time reviewing your submitted materials in the forum, to guide your team in the next steps.

Please make sure to book a slot with me using this timesheet here. As you put your team’s name next to a time slot to claim it, please also kindly answer the questions included in the sheet. Your answers will help me prepare for my interactions with you.

To prepare for your 1:1 with me, please ensure that:

• Everybody in your team understands who is holding what responsibility,
  • Your team has set up a transparent organization and documentation system,
  • A draft of project summary exists and has been shared on the Project Forum pages,
  • Your team has set up a regular meeting schedule,
  • Your team started to identify and review OER for your project,
  • Your team identified and addressed challenges within teams that have come up so far.

Hi Everyone:

I am posting the weekly update for the World Regional Geography cohort- I hope I am doing this in the correct place. We met this afternoon and had a productive meeting that involved confirming everyone’s access to online documents and communication (we are using Google Docs and Basecamp), fleshing out the Project Summary a bit more, and discussing the different roles of members of the cohort- including what functions will be performed mainly by the librarians and which mainly by the instructors. We had a quick primer on the basics of CC licensing. We hope to soon start systemmatically reviewing the OER currently available for World Regional Geography, toward the end of hopefully finding a full course text that would serve as a good base model for us to modify for use in our course.

1 Like

@rliner, @jibanez, and @mcwilliamsn–Hi Human Geography 1, there’s one more time slot left in this Monday’s (Nov 14) Session 5 one-on-ones, at 1:30pm. Will you be available to meet at that time on Monday? Here’s the Session 5 Sign-Up Sheet you can enter your group details into. Let me know you’re not able to meet then.

Joel,

I’ll take the 1:30pm slot.

Thanks,

Rusti

** External Email **

| gladja0 Joel Gladd May 2021 TSP Cohort
November 12 |

• | - |

@rliner, @jibanez, and @mcwilliamsn–Hi Human Geography 1, there’s one more time slot left in this Monday’s (Nov 14) Session 5 one-on-ones, at 1:30pm. Will you be available to meet at that time on Monday? Here’s the Session 5 Sign-Up Sheet you can enter your group details into. Let me know you’re not able to meet then.

Hi. That time slot is marked as a continuance of the World Regional cohort. Do you want the Human geographer cohort to drop in at that 1:30 slot, too? Happy Veteran’s Day weekend. Juana

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments transmitted with it, is intended solely for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and/or EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments and immediately contact the sender by replying to this email or contact the sender at the telephone numbers listed above. Thank you!

I edited the timesheet so your group is now 1:30. The other group must’ve been listed there twice by mistake.

Hi Joel, Thank you. I’ve added our information but have no clue if anyone besides Rusti and I will be able to be there. I have emailed the rest of the group to let them know that I’ve updated the spreadsheet. I am sure they will be in touch with you when they get the emails from all of us. Cheers, Juana

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments transmitted with it, is intended solely for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and/or EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments and immediately contact the sender by replying to this email or contact the sender at the telephone numbers listed above. Thank you!

1 Like

I just completed Session 4. The group completed The TSP Sign-Up Sheet prior to me joining, so it will have to be revised. I’ll mention it to Kayla in our next meeting.