Session 8 - Creating Ancillaries & Editing (June 2021 Cohort)

Hello, @june21-cohort! I hope you all are excited to get back into the swing of things after our week off. Tomorrow we’re going to continue with content creation, looking specifically at interactivity (specifically H5P) and ancillary materials (e.g., syllabi, slides, homework exercises, test banks, sample assignments). We’ll also take a look at our next phase in the process as we focus on types of and considerations for editing.

Here are the handout and slide links:

1. Handout: Creating Ancillaries & Editing
  2. Slides: Creating Ancillaries & Editing

See you tomorrow!

1 Like

Hi, @june21-cohort! Thanks for a great session yesterday. Here’s the chat transcript.

We wrapped up our discussion of content creation by looking at the role of interactivity (including the use of tools like H5P) and ancillary materials. We looked at a number of examples of the use of H5P to bring interactivity into OER. H5P activities can vary widely in terms of the amount of time and information needed to create them, so consider what is feasible for you and what will best serve your learners. You can also consult the matrix in our slides and/or the H5P Periodic Table to get a sense or where different H5P activities fall on that spectrum. Also, be sure to keep in mind accessibility because the choices you make will impact whether all learners will be able to use the resources you’re creating. Here are a few additional resources related to H5P that you might find useful:

After we wrapped up our discussion of interactivity and ancillary materials, we talked about the editing process, including types of editing, when to edit, and considerations for editing. As I mentioned, editing can happens at many different points throughout the publishing workflow, so it’s helpful to separate it into two different types: (1) substantial editing and (2) copyediting and proofreading. Take a look at our suggestions in the slides for when to edit. As you’re editing, keep in mind other editing considerations that let you complete work effectively, meaningfully, and in a way that makes future tasks simpler. Remind editors that communications with authors can also be positive: that they can (and should) recognize and credit when something has been well-executed or well-explained instead of only focusing on areas needing improvement.

In a similar vein, keep in mind that editors are humans, so spend time sharing these principles with them, and revisiting your workflows to make sure that their workload is reasonable and manageable. Editing is one of many steps to refine the content in your OER, and improvements can always be made to the book as you continue on the journey to release (and even after). Our discussion of editing sets the stage for next week’s session about different types of review and feedback. From our team updates this week, it sounds like some of you are already thinking about (or are in the process of) soliciting different types of feedback. I look forward to hearing more from you next week as we dig further into this topic.

1 Like

@june21-cohort, here’s one additional link that I forgot to share in my recap this week. CCCOER did a webinar about H5P last month (with lots of links) if you want to take a bit of a deeper dive into H5P.

2 Likes