Team Meet & Greet: General Education English

Aha! We like to create a space that is welcoming to all voices, and the platform helps us do that by posting gentle reminders to let others join in on the conversation. Don’t take that personally — there are some conversations that you may be more a part of than others, and that’s okay! Sometimes though, it can be a good nudge for you to also pause, take a break, and let someone else chime in before you do.

1 Like

FYI–Open Textbook webinar tomorrow–it was in my calendar, and I just got the link from Apurva:

2 Likes

That is the message I received :slight_smile:

Liza Long

Thanks for confirming, Liza. As I said to Amy, messages like those are sometimes a good reminder to pause and let another person respond, but of course, aren’t always relevant at certain stages of the project. I’ll look into whether the settings can be adjusted slightly, though, since many of you seem to be receiving the message.

Hello Amy,
I am contacting you because I have an update on my tutorial that seemed of interest to you: my institution, Idaho State, uses Moodle, which requires me to request a Moodle Community site and to create an account. Then, when anyone enters the site, they are required to create an account. After a user has created their account, I can add them to the site.
This is obviously not the type of educational resource we are analyzing, so I think this will be the end of my side-project. Now, I will review all the information covered by our cohort and try to keep up with developments.
What Liza has created through the Google Docs template supplied by Jonathan look interesting. I will start there; maybe I will see you.
Thanks for your interest!
Sylvia

Thank you for the update, Sylvia. Yes for now, it looks like we are pursuing a combined 101/102 text based on the 6 Gen Ed outcomes for written communication. Look forward to your input!! :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

I’m unable to join you tomorrow, and Jonathan has very kindly agreed to host our meeting after the Rebus training–he’ll have the link for everyone. I hope to see some of you Saturday.

All best,
Jamaica

1 Like

Hi @Lashleyed, we’d like to get your input on how to better understand Sections 3-5 of our project (corresponding to State Objectives 3-5) and how each of those state outcomes should be interpreted. Some of these areas tend to blur in out minds so we’re looking for someone input. Can you meet up with us during next week’s English meeting?

Here is the link for Creative Commons license certificate registration. https://certificates.creativecommons.org/

I will keep you posted on how my funding reiumbursement request goes.

Hey! Yeah, I am happy to join you next week. Sorry for the delay.

Hi @lizalong, we decided to spend another week with Section 2 and really flesh out some of those points as much as possible: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a7Y24udh-0U7kEBEOOklm8bqqMQbcWcxlJu9CTKJl1Q/edit?usp=sharing.

At the same time, I’m going to develop part of Section 2 in the Pressbooks link @Lashleyed gave us access to a few weeks ago: https://boisestate.pressbooks.pub/fywdemo/wp-admin/. I’ve tentatively added a “Rhetorical Awareness” Part near the end, just before the Back Matter. We’re going to experiment with a few design options and see how we feel about it.

Thanks, Joel! I feel like you and Amy are much more familiar with existing OERs, and something I may be able to bring to the project is visual resource design
(I don’t widely advertise this, but I do design work for the state behavioral planning council and have also worked with other clients for several years). One thing I have definitely noticed in looking over the existing OERs is that the visual resources are
not high quality. Students really respond to visuals.

I apologize for leaving early—I have a pretty large personal crisis I have to attend to today (in the midst of all the other stuff), and my mind just isn’t in
work today. I really appreciate you all being so understanding.

Liza I doubt this is nearly as pressing as what you have going on. You’re all good.

No worries, Liza and Team, family first! I think we all need a bit of grace during these particularly challenging times. :slight_smile: Thank you for working on the visuals! You’re right, they are often overlooked and left to the last minute. Jamaica has been such an asset bringing in the Writing Center and rhetorician perspective, and Joel has been awesome with the layout and technical aspects. We are each bringing our strengths to the table.

As we work on Section 2 over the next 7 days,

1. please look over the resources I added this past week and leave an evaluative comment on parts you liked or would consider from each source that is currently listed or that you add to this week. As we remix existing OER chapters/sections in order to Frankenstein materials related to each mode, we are looking for the best parts of each OER. Some boast better rhetoric while others have more relevant or student-focused examples, coordinating/linked videos, and lessons or activities.

2. Since we are attacking modes in a more comprehensive way, think about the papers that your colleagues (full-time and adjunct) and dual credit teachers assign (and hopefully the ones you assign are listed–if not, please add them with resources). What’s not there that should be represented? Something else to consider…in a post-Covid/distance learning world, what are some essay types that lend themselves well to a digital format–we included blogging, but what else could we include?

3. Related to #2, discussions/discussion board posts are prevalent in the online setting, and while upper division students tend to do really well in this arena, first-year writing students lack the skills and/or confidence to write substantive responses to their peers (even if their replies to the instructor’s original post is proficient). What are some tips for this semi-informal/formal platform that we can give our students so that they might feel better equipped to join in the conversation in a more meaningful way? While Section 2 may not be the ‘bucket’ for that, I think it’s something we should include somewhere within our textbook, and I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks so much and everyone stay healthy,

Amy :blush:

1 Like