Volunteer Sign-up

I’m interested in assisting with proofreading and copyediting. I have a BA in Philosophy from Boston University (and keep up with scholarship in a few areas) and currently work in open-access advocacy. Further, I am personally interested in increasing, specifically, the availability of openly licensed philosophy texts, whether textbooks, monographs or journals.

Previously, I was a volunteer editor for two distributed projects. For the first, I provided substantial content editing to a CC BY-NC-SA ebook on statistics and data visualization for non-experts (titled Data+Design). And for the second, editorial comments and suggestions on several draft chapters of Creative Commons’ recent book, Made with Creative Commons (CC BY-SA, naturally).

As part of my job, I revise and edit a whole lot of documentation (on policies, programs and procedures) to ensure they are easily understood by a variety of authors, researchers, and students.

I try to supplement professional commitments with calls for volunteers because I think it’s important to support collaborative open projects (like this one) as much as possible. I’m game if you need help!

Colleen Cressman
twitter: metatechne

2 Likes

Hi Colleen,

Thank you so much for volunteering! We have one book (Philosophy of Mind) that is just about to go into production in Pressbooks (as soon as I get a breather from a conference I’m at right now). We’d love to have help with copyediting & proofreading for that. I have done my best as a non-professional in those areas, but I’m sure things there is stuff I’ve missed.

Hopefully we will start putting the content into Pressbooks in the next few days (it’s just me that’s the holdup now!), and it would be helpful to have someone read through the content there as we prepare for the final publication.

If you email me I can get you into the Pressbooks site for the book later this week and we can go from there: christina.hendricks@ubc.ca

I may also invite you to communicate with me on the thread for that book, just to keep things organized!

2 Likes

Sounds great. Thanks, Christina.

Hello. I would be willing to help in any way possible with the Analysis of Knowledge section. I earned my M.A. in Philosophy from California State University at Long Beach in 2013. My interests are in justification and especially particular aspects of the Gettier Problem and epistemic closure (Nozick, Dretske, Thalberg Jr). I have been a high school teacher for 20 years (mostly AP Macroeconomics, AP US Government, and AP Psychology) and also taught philosophy (Critical Thinking) at Long Beach City College for 3 years (2014-2017). Please let me know if I can help with this project.

1 Like

Hi Kele, thanks so much for your interest in the project! We usually ask potential authors or editors for a CV. Could you send across your CV to @christina.hendricks (christina.hendricks@ubc.ca)? She can pass it along to @brian561, the book editor for Epistemology. :slight_smile: If there’s any other chapters (apart from The Analysis of Knowledge) in the book that you’d be interested in contributing to, please let Christina know. I believe these 3 are still in need of authors:

• Chapter 3: Sources of Knowledge and Justification: Rationalism, Empiricism, and Beyond
  • Chapter 5: Epistemic Value, Duty, and Virtue
  • Chapter 7: Epistemology, Gender, and Society

Hi Kele–thank you for your interest! As @apurva notes, if you could send me a copy of your CV I will send it to the editor for Epistemology and we’ll go from there!

1 Like

@christina.hendricks I’m/we’re happy to help with Pressbooks importing at SUNY Geneseo!

2 Likes

That’s great, @allisonbrown! Thanks so much! We have several books getting close to the point where they’ll need this work, and I’ll get back to you when I know more about timelines.

1 Like

Hello,

I hope all is well. My name is Rocco A. Astore. I am currently an adjunct lecturer of philosophy at CUNY; BMCC as well as CUNY: College of Staten Island in NYC, NY, USA. I am also a graduate student completing my second MA at the NSSR, also in NYC, NY. I found your CFP concerning an introduction to philosophy textbook that is in the works. I would very much like to contribute to that textbook. I have a particular interests in writing for the Metaphysics Chapter 2 on Finitism, infinitism, monism, dualism, and pluralism. Please inform me if this could work, when your time allows. Attached is my CV as well.

Thank you, and all the best, I look forward to hearing from you,

-Rocco A. Astore

1 Like

Hello Rocco, and thank you for your interest! I just saw that you had posted here, as well as sent an email…I replied to your email earlier today and will get back to you with more as soon as I can. Thanks for reaching out!

Hi there,

I’m a current MLIS grad student and Textbook Affordability Project Coordinator at the University of South Florida. I have a BA in English Literature and UG minor in PHI. I really enjoy the study and am happy to see the intersection between open & philosophy.

I’d love to help out with copyediting and content input/formatting if there’s a need for it -

Thanks!
Jennifer Slagus

1 Like

Hi Jennifer–welcome and thank you for your interest! I’m excited to meet another OER enthusiast who also has a background in philosophy!

We have a few books coming up that will need copy editing and content input. We have a copy editor for Ethics, but I’m not yet sure if we have anyone to do content input on that (waiting to hear back from someone). That one is being copy edited now; it’s waiting on me to review all the chapters first, which I’m getting to in between working on two other books!

Then up next are Philosophy of Religion, Logic, and Aesthetics I think.

I will let you know as soon as I can whether we need help with Ethics, and even if not, the others should follow fairly quickly. So I’ll be in touch!

Christina

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am an incoming PhD student in Neurophilosophy at LMU Munich looking to contribute to the project. I am particularly interested in authoring Chapter 2 in the metaphysics section, Chapters 7 or 11 in the philosophy of science section, or any potential chapter in philosophy of cognitive science (assuming chapters on “individual sciences” will get a green light).

I also have some academic editing experience, and I will be happy to help copyedit the philosophy of mind book.

My CV can be found at https://sofiiarappe.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/cv_rappe_may_2019_web-july-2019.pdf.

I am looking forward to joining the project,

Sofiia Rappe

Hi Sofiia,

Welcome, and thank you for your interest! This is just a quick note to say that I will follow up as soon as I can–I’m about to travel out of the country and will be away from the internet for a day or two, then back online. I will look over your CV and get back to you soon!

One quick note–we actually have a copy editor for the Philosophy of Mind book, which is almost finished. But we may need help with Philosophy of Religion or Logic or Aesthetics, all of which should reach that stage in the next few months!

Christina Hendricks (series editor)

Hi @sofiia – Just an update that I have passed your CV on to the book editors for Metaphysics (Adriano Palma) and Philosophy of Science (Eran Asoulin). The book editors are the ones who make the final decisions on authors. Hopefully you’ll hear from them soon! If not, please email me: christina.hendricks@ubc.ca

Thanks again for volunteering!

Hello @christina.hendricks,
Thank you for getting back to me. I have already received an email from Dr. Palma and will send him my proposal within the next few days.

Please let me know if and when you need any copyediting help with the upcoming volumes.

Best,
Sofiia

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Noah Valdez and I am an undergraduate philosophy student at Boston College with an range of interests in political philosophy, phenomenology and metaphysics. I am humbled to have been included in such a wonderful philosophical project and look forward to contributing in way.

1 Like

Hi @valdezno --thank you for your interest! I see we’ve also communicated via email but I am glad you’ve joined up here because it’s easier to keep track of all the volunteers this way. Welcome to the project!

If I remember correctly, you are interested in doing a student review of the Metaphysics book and also the Epistemology book, and potentially other things as well. Can you confirm what you’re particularly interested in doing so we have a record of it here? Thanks!

We are looking for a copy editor for the Logic book, which is the next in the series needing to be copy edited. If you have expertise in this area and would be willing to help us out, please let us know! This is a relatively short book (5 chapters) so wouldn’t take a great deal of time.

1 Like

FYI: we have a copy editor for the Logic book now!

1 Like