Finite Mathematics Cohort: Learning Outcomes and Existing OER

Learning Outcomes

These learning outcomes are the course level outcomes, over the whole course. We will still need to develop outcomes in each chapter of the resource we create. After looking over what was provided by members of our cohort, here is a list of outcomes that I believe we can go with. I did my best to compile everyone’s objectives they provided into a single list. If there is any overlap, or things I left out, we can cut down or add where needed.

1. Demonstrate mastery of review topics from college algebra
  2. Solve systems of linear equations and inequalities by graphing, algebraically, and with matrices.
  3. Solve linear programming problems.
  4. Use Venn Diagrams to solve problems with sets and the relationship between sets.
  5. Apply rules of symbolic logic to assess the validity of logical arguments.
  6. Use basic counting principles, including combinations and permutations, to solve problems.
  7. Recognize and solve simple interest, compound interest, and annuities.
  8. Organize and interpret data in scenarios involving descriptive or inferential statistics.

Existing OER

Starting with an existing OER resource, and putting it into Pressbooks, I believe is the most favorable option. We can always add to that resource to build our own, and I would like us to consider doing that – to make this our own resource! Below is a list of what was provided by members of our cohort. We need to settle on which of these resources we would like to start with as our base to adapt. Note, if a link wasn’t provided, I didn’t include it in the list below – because everyone wouldn’t be able to view it.

1. Business Precalculus, 1st edition, by David Lippman: http://www.opentextbookstore.com/busprecalc/busprecalc.pdf
  2. College Mathematics Textbook, 1st edition, by Tracey Haynie, et al. by Scottsdale Community College: https://myopenmaths3.s3.amazonaws.com/cfiles/29937/CollegeMathematicsTextbookMAT14x1stEdition.pdf
  3. Finite Math Everything: Finite Mathematics: Everything
  4. Lumen Finite Math Resource pages: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/finitemathresources/
  5. Lumen courses: https://lumenlearning.com/courses/
  6. Merlot Finite Math: Finite Mathematics
  7. Finite Math Online (MA 114- Intro to FM – NCSU): https://finitemathonline.blogspot.com/
  8. Openstax (CNX) – Applied Finite Math: Applied Finite Mathematics : Rupinder Sekhon : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
  9. LibreTexts - Applied Finite Mathematics (Sekhon and Bloom): Applied Finite Mathematics (Sekhon and Bloom)
  10. Finite Mathematics
  11. Lumen OHM

Our cohort has so many resources we found to look over. I would suggest everyone look through the resources found, and maybe try to settle on one to use as our base resource. We can always add parts of all the resources if we like them.

Hey everyone!
Does anyone feel strongly about one of the resources shared to use it as our base textbook to start? We can always add to the content with the other material found.

Hi Jared, I think the Business Precalculus book by David Lippman is a good starting point. The book has chapters that touch on most of the topics in our course-level SLOs. I think symbolic logic is the only topic not covered in this text, but Lippman does have another textbook, Math for Liberal Arts, that has a chapter on logic. Although the chapters in Business Precalculus are a bit sparse, I think they make for a good place to begin.
Kiel

I think that Business Precalculus by David Lippman is a good starting place as well. I also think we will need to supplement. I really like the concept of video delivery and would love to work that in somehow.

I also think that Business Precalculus by David Lippman is a good starting point. The text is laid out nicely and user friendly.

NOTE - Regarding Learning Objective #8. In my opinion LO #8 does not belong in a Finite course. My introductory statistics classes include Learning Outcome #8. We begin with descriptive statistics, move to probability, then continuous and discrete distributions, which eventually get us to inferential statistics. It takes a whole course in statistics to get to inferential statistics. Have we been mandated to include it?

I agree with everyone that Business Precalculus by David Lippman is a good starting point.

Toni,
I don’t think we are mandated to include it. At our school we cover frequency distributions, measures of central tendencies, measures of variation, boxplots, and touch on the normal distribution. I am okay with taking any or all of statistics out, but when I teach it, it takes about 2-3 lectures, depending on if the class meets 2 or three times per week. I teach it at the end of the semester. It gives them a decent preview of what they will see if they move on to statistics. We really just scratch the surface, but it does lay a foundation for higher level math courses, I think.

I agree with Toni, that learning objective 8 seems like it doesn’t belong. It is not something that we cover in our Finite Math classes.

I am not opposed to including a cursory preview of statistics in our OER. If I were to include it in my class, I would do it in place of the logic section. Maybe we should make sure that both topics are included in our OER.