INAA: Chapter 5-The Subarctic

More information coming soon…

Hello everyone,

I thought I’d begin with an introduction so that we can get this project started. I am a recent MSc. graduate with an interest in ethnoarchaeology and oral histories. My areas of specialization include the historic (18th century) period to Late Taltheilei period (1300BP) in the Northwest Territories. I’ve worked with several Dene communities, but primarily with the Tłı̨chǫ. What are your regions of expertise? I think this will be an exciting chapter to collaborate on, given that the Subarctic is the most broad region across North America and we can learn a lot from folks working in different subareas. I look forward to hearing from all of you!

@raislinng Hi Rebecca, yes? This is not my area of expertise, but I did want to welcome you to the larger project. This is an area where I know I will learn a great deal more from everyone’s guidance here. How would you characterize the subregions and how do they differ? This would be something important to have come out in the chapter itself :slight_smile:

Hi everyone. I just want to ensure two things:

1. Has everyone seen the Author Guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aNA7tvrDy89Btt10S5u_B0mXj_69p-zntBQuiY4CH4Q/edit?usp=sharing?
  2. Once you are signed up for a given chapter(s), you will receive access to all Google folders and docs necessary to complete the work in your group. If you are signed up for a chapter and you have not received access via email, please let me know!

That is all for now. Let me know if you have any questions as you work towards completing your chapter outline by November 1st. ~Katie

Hi everyone, I have just signed on to this chapter, and chapter 4 as well.

I have a Bachelor’s degree in anthropology, and an interdisciplinary Master’s degree that included topics in circumpolar anthropology, Arctic and Subarctic ethnobiology, and Quaternary paleoecology and archaeology of Beringia. Additionally, I have more than a decade of experience conducting academic research in partnership with northern First Nations communities in Alberta, Canada.

I recently started my doctorate, and currently work as an instructional designer in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Alberta.

Hi Subarctic folks,
Scott Hamilton, Matt Boyd and I put together a basic outline for our chapter to hopefully get things started. We are at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, so the information reflects our central Canadian boreal forest viewpoint. There are some general Subarctic themes too. Do you want to read the outline and add to it for your region? FYI: You need to upload a file into Google Drive, turn it into a link, and then one can share it on Rebus.

Cheers, Jill

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12KE8GBgvSqCPiI8zGRlIjXAj2S8ZKxcL/view?usp=sharing

@jstaylo1 said in INAA: Chapter 5-The Subarctic:

1-Outline-Ch. 5 LU Comments.docx - Google Drive

Excellent. Did you also see what Jennifer Kielhofer did here: 1-Outline-Ch. 5 - Google Docs

How to combine these is the next question :slight_smile:

Hi Katie. Where was Jennifer’s outline posted? Thanks!

@jstaylo1 Hi, It was directly in the Google doc I created for your chapter.