New Blog Post by Leigh Kinch-Pedrosa "How personal storytelling pops canonical bubbles"

This week I took my turn writing a blog post from the Rebus Community team. I talk about how personal storytelling can contribute to better scholarship.

“Introducing personal storytelling into academic communication is where I see an opportunity to respond to the homogeneity of the English Canon and all that it represents. Historically, surveys, journals, op-eds, textbooks, and other receptacles for knowledge have been dominated by the voices of white men. While some more diverse voice are occasionally heard in these texts, they are often relegated to a “special topics” or “feminist perspectives” subcategory. If other voices were amplified, then the diversity and therefore quality of all those knowledge receptacles would improve.”

Read the full post here.

***The above is an excerpt from a longer post. I would love to know what you think. Who are the best storytellers in your field? Tell me about some great survey texts that represent diverse voices.

1 Like

I absolutely loved this post, Leigh! I come from a similar background, having studied English Literature, and resonated with a lot of what you said. Thanks for putting pen to (e)paper.

To your question – every time I hear Maha @bali speak, I’m always eager to keep listening. I always find myself coming away from listening to her during sessions or reading her writing with some new knowledge, or a better way to communicate my perspectives, priorities, challenges, issues etc.

@trobbins1981 is working on a wonderfully diverse and open anthology of earlier American Literature, titled *The Open Anthology of Earlier American Literature*perfect for an introductory survey course.

I’ve seen another similar book recently released by Affordable Learning Georgia titled Becoming America: An Exploration of American Literature from Precolonial to Post-Revolution.

There’s also @wardjulie’s Antología abierta de literatura hispana which is an amazing open textbook produced in collaboration with students. Another great way to bring diverse voices into the OER publishing world.

Thanks so much for your kind words Apurva. I can’t wait to have more Lit conversations with you. It was actually a talk we had that reminded me of my love for Bapsi Sidhwa.

I’ve encountered two of the texts you mentioned, @trobbins1981 and @wardjulie’s, and will have a closer look soon.

Always happy to chat more about Lit. and let these conversations remind us about other wonderful authors and storytellers. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to hearing what you think.