This spring I did a thorough revision of “Writing for Success,” an English composition textbook under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA.
Here is my updated version:
It contains coverage of APA 7 and MLA 9. I have used it in my own English Composition I classes at a community college.
More on what got changed in the revision:
This book, Writing for Success 2023, has been adapted by Jamie Campbell Martin in spring of 2023 from 2015’s Writing for Success. It is made available under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license.
- Chapter 1:
- Removed discussion of learning styles as recent research is skeptical about them. For example, see “Learning Styles: Concepts and Evidence” at https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6053.2009.01038.x
- Added discussion of LMS-provided reminder apps
- Chapter 5: Updated discussion of the definition of a noun to explain that linguists prefer syntactic definitions to semantic definitions
- Chapter 11: Added discussion of citation managers such as Zotero
- Chapter 13:
- Updated APA coverage to APA 7.
- Updated MLA coverage to MLA 9 from MLA 7.
- Added MLA-formatted version of sample research paper for comparison to APA-formatted version
- Chapter 15: Added my own sample persuasive essay on legalizing medical marijuana
- Added Works Cited section
- Simplified language for developmental readers
- Made style updates to agree with APA 7: “internet” for “Internet”, “email” for “e-mail”, etc. (see the APA Publication Manual p. 162).
- Updated broken links
- Added comprehensive alt text to images or replaced images with text to improve accessibility for screen readers
- Reformatted text in GitHub Flavored Markdown. See GitHub Flavored Markdown Spec