Session 2 - Project Scoping (May '21)

Good afternoon @may21-cohort! This Thursday we’ll dive into project scoping and framing your project. At the beginning of tomorrow’s session we’ll share the progress we’ve made on the 3 to-dos from last week:

We’ll then take a look at the slides and handouts for today’s session:

1. Handout: Project Scoping
  2. Slides: Project Scoping

Towards the end of the Week 2 session we’ll workshop licensing preferences for a little bit. That’s something my group had to navigate throughout our project and I’m sure some of you will have questions.

The Zoom info should be posted to the calendar invite. If you need those details again, feel free to respond to this announcement or DM me. I’m looking forward to seeing you soon.

1 Like

Hi @may21-cohort, thank you for your participation during yesterday’s session. I’m following up with the chat transcript, a session recap, and some goals for the asynchronous portion of Week 2.

Session 2 Recap

This session started off with a brief overview of the different stages of the open publishing process. Knowing what goes into publishing can help you as a creator plan for the work involved. The model depicted in the slides is linear, but doesn’t always progress this way in reality (you could be working in many different stages at once). The Rebus publishing model in particular focuses on ways to bring collaboration, accessibility, and marketing into each of the different stages — to both improve the quality of the final resource and to grow the active community invested in it.

Our session also focused on the project summary template. The fields in the template correspond to the blocks on your Rebus project homepage. It’s helpful to complete the project summary template with your team members, then update your Project Homepage.

We then briefly workshopped licensing issues, using the Creative Commons “Choose a License” tool. Many of you ended up with CC-BY 4.0 or CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. We discussed the “open ethos” that tends to emphasize less restrictive licensing, but we also qualified that, for some use cases, it’s actually easier to begin with a somewhat more restrictive license and then become less restrictive later, rather than vice versa. Something to keep in mind is that the Pressbooks platform allows you to adopt a global license (e.g., CC-BY 4.0), and then specify more restrictive licensing (such as CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0) to certain chapters, as needed.

As you continue to develop your OER project your perception of CC licensing will evolve. We should continue discussing these kinds of issues. If you would like to continue discussing essays related to licensing, I encourage you to create a new topic thread in our cohort space.

Goals for Week 2!

To prepare for Week 3, here are some goals for the asynchronous portion of Week 2:

One more thing: If you haven’t yet, please:

That’s it for now! As always, if you have any follow-up questions, you can respond directly to this post or DM @gladja0, @apurva, or @me.monicabrown.

Joel,

I will be attending the National Organization for Student Success conference this week on Thursday and Friday so I will not be able to attend the meeting. I will follow up with your Week 3 checklist.

Thanks!
Jessica

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the recap!

This week, I will have to be off my computer around 1:30. My son has early dismissal the last two days of school (Thursday and Friday) and will need to be picked up by 2.

1 Like

[I’ve edited this response to reflect the correct homepage]

Thanks for the head’s up, @jessicaaadams25. It looks like your Co-Requisite Statistics is up and running. Good work! From here, you could use the project summary template to help flesh out a few of the other areas, as needed.

Otherwise, yes, stay tuned for more updates.

@gladja0, can we work on the project summary template more as time goes on. I feel like mine just isn’t perfect.

@kkardiasmenos That’s perfectly fine. In fact it makes a lot of sense for some teams to continuing working on the project homepage and project summary template (which reinforce one another) as the Rebus program unfolds and as you work on developing your project. Our Week 3 session, for example, will cover material that may help you complete parts of your summary template and homepage.

1 Like

Hi all,
Ben and I would like to share our project homepage with you all.

Statistics and Statistical Thinking Introduction

It is still a work in progress but we look forward to working on it with this cohort! See you tomorrow!

Tracy

1 Like

Tracy, that first sentence of yours has me hooked and wanting to read more! :smiley: Thank you for sharing. I also like how you’ve narrowed in on 5 key areas of work that you’d like to focus on. There’s a number of things that you’ve acknowledged at the outset which I found very unique:

• that statistics often causes anxiety in your target readers (early-year undergrad students)
  • discussing how statistics applies to our everyday world (and how it has been misused in the past)
  • making the text more equitable - through inclusive language, examples, culturally relevant and accessible content

A great example for others in the group to look at!

Thank you Apurva! It has been great to get to think and create with more support and resources! I appreciate all you have already provided and look forward to working on it some more!

2 Likes

I’m pleased to hear it! We’re here to support you however best we can, so if there’s more questions you have, feel free to ask away.