Thinking Critically About Abortion

A co-author and I have a new, open-access ( = free) introductory book on abortion:

Thinking Critically About Abortion: Why Most Abortions Aren’t Wrong & Why All Abortions Should Be Legal.

It’s at https://www.AbortionArguments.com

We are hoping it will improve understanding and improve the quality of arguments given on this issue. Someone suggested we share this here, in part to get tips on how to better share this resource.

This book introduces readers to the many arguments and controversies concerning abortion. While it argues for ethical and legal positions on the issues, it focuses on how to think about the issues, not just what to think about them. It is an ideal resource to improve your understanding of what people think, why they think that and whether their (and your ) arguments are good or bad, and why . It’s ideal for classroom use, discussion groups, organizational learning, and personal reading.

Any guidance, tips, and suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks for letting us know! This is so exciting. I’ll share your announcement in the upcoming Rebus Community newsletter (to be released on August 22). I’ll also post on RC Twitter.

As for how to share the resource, I could talk about that all day. I know you’ve already posted about the resource on the Listservs. Awesome! It’s important to meet people where they are. That means posting on all social media channels–Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn. Run with it!

I recommend making sure that everyone on your team is talking about the book. The best way to do that is to prepare shareable material to reduce the amount of work that your community has to put into spreading the news. Write blog posts, create social media visuals (I use Canva because I’m not super skilled at making visual anything), gather testimonials, and put them into a shareable folder.

You may also want to look into OER repositories and submit your book to be included.

Again, congratulations and good luck!

Thanks! What do you mean “the listservs”? Which ones? (That is a good idea though, I do know there are some philosophy listservs, and we haven’t tried those).

I’ve done lots of social media stuff about it. And have had an online magazine article that references it and have three more of those in the works.

Thanks!

There are a few big OER focused listservs: SPARC Libraries and OER Forum, CCCOER Advisory, and the Open Education Platform run by Creative Commons. You may have to request access to these if you’re not following them already. I’m sorry, but I can’t recall which you need to request access for. They are pretty open (ha!) about who is on the list.

I can’t remember where I saw a posting about your book and assumed it was a listserv since I read them every day. But yes! Do post there and on the Philosophy listerv too!

@nathan.nobis, could you share any relevant Twitter handles?

I’m here: https://twitter.com/NathanNobis
My co-author is not on Twitter.
Thanks!

Terrific. Thank you!

Hi Nathan - congrats on the release! What a brilliant resource to create and share.

It sounds like you’re doing everything right to get to word out. You might also want to skim through our guide on releasing content to find some more ideas. This covers both preparing for release and getting it out to the world, so might not all be relevant, but hopefully something in there will be of help!

You can also go onto the following sections on improvements & maintenance and adoptions, so you’re thinking about building the community around the book as it gets out into the world.

All the best with it!