Final Monthly Check-in: May

Hi @may21-cohort, I want to invite you to our final meeting! To wrap things up for our cohort, I’m providing a poll below, to see what times best work for all of us. I’ve seen your groups make outstanding progress over the last few months and this will be a time to share that with everyone else. In the meeting we’ll also cover a few things to nudge us towards a long-term view of the projects. We can use that time to review the M.O.S.T. grant deadline expectations as well.

Please vote in the poll for our May meeting. I’ve created several options in hopes that every team can attend: TSP Final Meeting Poll.

Also, here’s our TSP Final Evaluation. I’ll link to this evaluation again in the post-meeting announcement.

1 Like

Hi @may21-cohort, I’ll be jumping into our Zoom meeting soon (see the calendar invite), but for now I’m going to post a few of the links from today. Most of the time will be dedicated to presenting our projects. If you miss today’s session, please remember to 1) complete the MOST Grant Final Report (below), as well as the TSP Final Evaluation 2). I’ll likely send out one more announcement as a reminder.

1 Like

Hello @may21-cohort Please find an updated Zoom link to our session here: Launch Meeting - Zoom or in the calendar invitation.

See you soon,
Joerdis

@gladja0 Can you try the updated Zoom invitation?

Dear @kongmeinj,

It’ been such a pleasure hearing about the current state of your project today and see some of it contextualised as well.

Regarding your question concerning the Pressbooks directory, please get in touch with @apurva once you know your resource is in a final state. There is indeed a process that involves the Rebus Pressbooks Admin to add your book to the Pressbooks Directory. The conditions are:

• your book meets Rebus standards — open license, all front and backmatter in place including review + accessibility statement, and book info + metadata
  • Once it is done, we will add the book to the catalog and gladly amplify the OER press release/announcement or any other comms!

I see that your project has agreed on another license, which is why I suggest you discuss such issues with us as soon as you feel ready to finalise the Rebus Pressbooks Submission.

Kind regards,
Joerdis

Hi @may21-cohort, I just wanted to quickly thank those who joined our final session and shared their progress. For those who couldn’t make it, I’m sending out this final announcement to congratulate you on completing the Rebus program and the MOST grant process. See below for the final checkout items.

As you finalize your projects, remember to touch base with Rebus (and me) when you’d like to begin the marketing process!

It’s been a joy to work with you. If you ever have any questions or would like to quickly troubleshoot something, I’ll continue receiving email notifications. We’re part of your team. Thanks @joerdis and @apurva for your excellent support.

1 Like

Congratulations!! It’s been great watching you all move forward with your respective projects throughout the year, and more importantly, to have connected with you as individuals eager to make an impact through education! :smiley: Thanks also to Joel for his excellent facilitation and support.

Dear Joerdis and Apurva @apurva,

I’m happy to report that we’re ready to finalize the Rebus Pressbooks Submission. Here is our formatted book–

https://press.rebus.community/guwen/

What shall Andy and I do next to finalize the Pressbooks submission? Would you kindly guide us?

We want to thank you again for all the swift and effective help you have offered us over the last year. Can’t imagine we would be here without you!

Best regards,

Mei

Dear @kongmeinj ,

What a great achievement! I couldn’t help but browse and enjoy the first two lessons.

With regards to the publication, there are only a few more things that you will need to put in place for us to move your resource into the public sphere, namely:

1. Create an accessibility statement page at the end of the book, mainly to indicate to your readers what steps you have taken to make your text as accessible as possible, and maybe invite feedback from those who still encounter issues on their end. Please take a look at these two examples and feel free to use them as your template if you would like: Example 1 and Example 2
  2. Create a review statement page, similar to this example.

Once you have these two pages created, please let @Apurva know. She will gladly use her administration powers in Pressbooks to publish your book.

As a final note, I would like to mention that there are a few front and backmatter items you might want to consider. Unlike the two pages above, these are NOT MUST DO items, but they help communicate to the world information about the project overall, some biographical info on the people involved and possibly for your students some instructions how to use the resource and where to provide feedback. If you are considering potential adopters, maybe you want to get feedback from them as well? I will attach two screenshots to show what I mean and link the book this is from for you to see in context.

Sending you gentle summer breeze greetings from Canada!
Joerdis

1 Like

Congrats on your wonderful textbook, @kongmeinj! This demonstrates a lot of work on your part and it shows.

@joerdis offered some resources in her response to help finalized some things, esp. the accessibility statement. To build on that: I created this video for my own institution to help other instructors get started with an accessibility checklist: How to Evaluate Your Pressbook for Accessibility.

1 Like

Thank you, @gladja0 for chiming in, and also for your video run through an accessibility check. With your permission, I will gladly include it as a resource in our curriculum.

@kongmeinj let us know if you have any questions still.

You certainly have my permission, Jördis.

1 Like

Hi Joerdis and Apurva,

I’ve created the Accessibility and Review pages. If you could please go ahead and publish our book that would be great! Thanks very much to you all.

Best,
Andy

Dear @Andy and @kongmeinj , @apurva will review the changes to confirm whether all minimum accessibility requirements are met for us to add your book to the Rebus catalogue.

Kind regards,
Jördis

Dear Joerdis,

Thank you very much, for the instruction and the cool breeze!

Mei

Thank you all!

Best,

Mei

Hello again, @kongmei ,

We took a brief glance at your resource and realised it doesn’t yet meet the Rebus Community accessibility standards to be listed in the Pressbooks directory.

As it stands, your resource is available online and thus, you can share the URL link with others and teach with it without any problems.

However, we want to help make your resource more accessible, so that eventually you can publish it to the Pressbooks directory as well. For that, we will conduct a thorough accessibility check (which should always precede the creation of an accessibility statement) to provide you with concrete action items that you can then implement for final approval to Pressbooks directory.

We don’t usually do this for our clients, so we ask to please be patient until we can schedule this additional item into our works plan. We will also use this opportunity to improve our communication regarding their Rebus Community Pressbooks accessibility requirements.

@apurva and I will be in touch soon,
Jördis

This is very kind of you! We look forward to learning more about how to make our book more accessible. Thank you!

Best,
Andy

@joerdis @apurva

It is truly kind of you! We are eager have this opportunity to learn about the accessibility requirements.

Thank you again,

Best,

Mei

Dear @kongmei and @Andy ,

We have completed our accessibility assessment of your resource and want to share the results with you here:

1. a written sensibility checklist
  2. a 22-min video to help contextualised the checklist above

We hope you find this helpful to make the necessary changes and thus ensure we can soon publicise your resource through the Pressbooks directory.

Kind regards,

Jördis