Monthly check-in: September

Hi @feb21-cohort — reminder that we have our next check-in tomorrow morning at 10am ET. I’m looking forward to seeing you all again! I know some of you have to leave early, and hopefully we can hear your updates/questions first.

If you can’t make it, please comment below to report on your goals from last month & share any other news you may have.

If you’re presenting at any upcoming conferences, please let us know below! I’d like to be there and show my support. :smiley:

1 Like

Open Ed Lightening Talk Introduction (1 minute):
Welcome to our Lightening Talk session entitled: Teacher Educators as OER Storytellers . I am Niki Fayne, Project Director of the CUNY TEd OER Hub. We hope to give you a taste of the why, what, and how of our efforts.

The CUNY Ted OER Hub, while still in its infancy, is more than a collection of digital resources. In videotaped interviews, instructors and librarians tell their stories of successes, failures, and what has driven them to create OER.

I want to give a shout-out to the Rebus Community and Apurva Ashok, Project Lead. Over the past year, our team has been a member of this community. Without constant encouragement and just in time technical assistance, we never would have come this far. Thanks for pushing us beyond where we thought we could go…

Now I turn to Naliza Sadik, Project Manager, to begin our tour…

Members of the Manitoba Foundations Group will be presenting “Pulling Together to Decolonize: Reflections on an Indigenous-led Open Resource Adaptation” at the Open Education Conference on Wednesday, October 20th. #OpenEd21: Pulling Together to Decolonize: Reflecti...

Thank you both! I’ve added both sessions to my schedule, and will try to watch the lightning talk as soon as its available. :slight_smile: Kaitlin, you should hopefully see me or Monica at your session!

I’ll be hopefully receiving the funding notification from CUNY Central and informing the team of the amount allocated.

I’ll be presenting at OpenEd and OE Global on the special issue for Journal for Multicultural Education - Here’s the call The Intersections of Open Educational Practices and Equity Pedagogy | Emerald Publishing and the presentation link -
Program — Open Education Conference

1 Like

A general goal is to leverage skills and knowledge re: Pressbooks from this project, into establishing practices and procedures for future projects. As part of our pilot EDU network, we’ll be collaborating on 9 more textbook adaptations. I hope to solidify an approach to the work that ensures all project participants are as comfortable as possible, but also taking on new responsibilities and trying new things.

2 Likes
  1. Complete lightening Talk 10 minute recording
  2. Come up with a plan to build out Zoila’s IMEC tab over the next three months
  3. Arrange a time to talk with Stacy to discuss how best to interest Hewlett Foundation in P-12 OER Hub using “story telling” as an approach.
1 Like

Take some time to celebrate and honour the people who have contributed, and see the launch through. May need to manage some troubleshooting. Would really like to see the Guide go to the MB Flexible Learning Hub for accessibility check.

1 Like

Goals for the next few weeks:

• Launch the Pulling Together: Manitoba Foundations Guide
  • Continue working on the OpenED Conference panel
  • Taking time to relax and reflect on the project
  • Have the guide turned in for the accessibility review

I want to give a big shout out to everyone who has contributed to this resource. From committee members to the Rebus cohort. Thank you all so much for your kindness, patience, and knowledge sharing.

This has been an incredible experience and I am beyond excited to see what happens next! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @feb21-cohort, thank you to the CUNY & Manitoba teams for an excellent conversation last Tuesday! It was so good to see you all and to hear about some of the exciting developments on your projects.

As always, I’ve saved a copy of the chat transcript for you all. Here’s a list of the resources shared:

I also wanted to thank Kaitlin for sharing this wonderful quote in the chat from Richard Wagamese:

“All that we are is story. From the moment we are born to the time we continue on our spirit journey, we are involved in the creation of the story of our time here. It is what we arrive with. It is all we leave behind. We are not the things we accumulate. We are not the things we deem important. We are story. All of us. What comes to matter then is the creation of the best possible story we can while we’re here; you, me, us, together. When we can do that and we take the time to share those stories with each other, we get bigger inside, we see each other, we recognize our kinship – we change the world, one story at a time…”

Remember these words when telling the story of your project, the impact you have had (and continue to have), and the strides you’ve all made in the 6 months in the program so far! :clap:t5:

@jsheffield, @misbell — how are you both doing? I’d love to hear an update from you both and get a sense of your goals or targets for next month.

Hello everyone! I’m so sorry to have missed our meeting, especially because I’m so excited to share the progress we’ve been making on the Open Pedagogy Project and Transforming Humanities Texts! I’m getting lots of great feedback from open pedagogy fellows who are using resources they built during the fellowship this semester. I also just did a refresh to the project website, featuring their reflections on the summer. A week or so ago, we had our first group zoom call about THT and I think participants really enjoyed getting to meet each other and think about the possibilities for the project. I communicated to that group a spring launch, and I shared a single google doc that we’ll use to build resources and provide feedback. I’m hopeful that the ability to ping each contributor with specific questions from within the drafting space will be efficient. I’m using draft content for the project (built in the spring and summer) in my courses now and having lots of ideas to refine them. With a colleague, I submitted a grant proposal to support the curricular initiative that inspired the whole project, so lots of pieces are moving into place to scale up the use of these resources in the coming years. And I keep forgetting to share that I’m presenting at Open Education–please join if you’re able! My session, with two partners from THT, is called Building Digital Editions For and With Students. I still need to finish up revisions on the Wikipedia blog post. I’m a little tempted to hold onto it until I’ve tried out the new methods this semester (adjustments motivated by new clarity about student rights and privacy from this group). Maybe I need a nudge from Apurva to publish it sooner rather than later ; ). I have a couple of publication deadlines to meet this month and some new humanities courses to build. I think my goal is to stay afloat.

1 Like

Thanks, Mary!! No worries at all — you mentioned you were teaching at our time; we understand.

It’s good to hear that the fellows are engaged and sharing feedback with you! The new website with their reflections looks fabulous. I’ve bookmarked a few of the reflections to read through. :smiley:

As for the THT project: this sounds very similar to @jsheffield’s experience when she held her first author call. Good plan to have discussed the timeline and set up a single Google Doc for collaborative drafting.

Thanks for sharing the details about your session! I’ve added it to my schedule, and we’ll spread the word about this session and the others’ soon. :smiley:

As for the Wikipedia post, I’d love to see a final draft perhaps at our next monthly check-in (Oct. 5) if that helps you push that along. I know you don’t mind the deadlines haha so hopefully this helps (and please ignore if it doesn’t). It sounds like you’re juggling quite a few things this month so do what you need to stay afloat, and then rest to catch your breath before diving back in.

1 Like

My colleague Jennifer Van Allen and I put together this padlet for the conference - Brainstorming for a Special Issue of JME: Intersections of Open Education and Equity Pedagogy Anyone can view it and contribute so feel free to share!

1 Like

Goals for the next month: I’m looking forward to a successful presentation for the Open Ed Conference, I would like to research the possibility of finding some grant money to have the resource translated into French. I will also be engaging with the feedback from the instructional design folks at the Hub.

1 Like