Team Meet & Greet: General Education English

Just opened it on my phone and it worked great! This is a good example. One thing I definitely took from this morning’s conversation is that we do not have to reinvent the writing wheel.

Hello team,
I am finally able to say a little more about the “self-help” tutorial I created about six years ago in Moodle.
(I mentioned this last Saturday in the alternative meeting hosted by Jonathan.)
Today, I asked the Eng. Chair for permission to offer the thing to you, and she said, “Go for it!” I wasn’t sure who owns it, but evidently it doesn’t matter.
Now, I am trying to get the Information Technology Resource Center’s director to return my call asking for instructions on how to show you the tutorial. I don’t think I can add you as teachers, but we’ll see.
Also, I thought about something Jonathan mentioned last Saturday: it might be a better idea to consider revision of something smaller, a part of a larger textbook for example, to make our collaboration more manageable.
If that is the direction the majority of our team wants to take, it is fine with me. I looked at the tutorial, and it definitely needs work.
Please let me know if you are interested in looking over this old-but-never-been-used self-help tutorial.
Sylvia

1 Like

I’m interested, Sylvia–let us know when you are able to gain access for us to check out the tutorial. Also, I’m game for smaller and more manageable! :blush:

Thanks,

Amy

Thank you, Amy!

Meanwhile, let’s keep looking around, though, right?

I can confirm that accessibility is comparable to some of the better, more accessible ed tech that I have managed. Importantly, the company cares about accessibility and thus prioritize continuous improvement around universal design concepts.

Also, the ability to export to different file types is good for sharing, reading, printing, and more.

1 Like

Do we have any updates for today? How’s our English team doing?

I haven’t been able to focus on textbook this week because of the quick changes we’ve all had to make, re: Coronavirus. However, I did attend a webinar by Pressbooks yesterday that I found really helpful. When we get around to the textbook design change we’ll be good to go!

Should we have some goals for the next few weeks, or are things too crazy for everyone? By the end of this week I can dedicate time to this project. What would we focus on?

1 Like

The entire extent of my thought on this project this week has been that OER will be more important than ever. I have been trying to figure out what to do with
our Dual Credit, and that has taken most of my time. I think after today, we could create some goals and share out some tasks.

Liza

image001.jpg

3 Likes

Good morning! Joel, like you, my attention has been elsewhere as I try to get my two classes online as well as organize the Writing Center for the new situation and getting those plans communicated out to the university. Liza, I’ve thought along the same lines as you–OERs and all things related to online education will increase in importance.

3 Likes

I agree that we need to dedicate some time to narrowing our scope and coming up with some goals toward the end of this week. Maybe we can get access to that tutorial from Sylvia just to round out our review. Joel, I look forward to hearing what you learned from the Webinar. Liza, I agree with you that OER is essential in times like this when everything goes to online. Perhaps we can find some inspiration with this pandemic–maybe a survivalist reader or jumping off of what Andrew in world languages was talking about, a high frequency term text or glossary with regard to composition/first-year writing.

Thanks, Amy

Liza and I were chatting about starting weekly (synchronous) meetings. Would everyone be on board with that? Should we try to meet in conjunction with Jonathan’s Saturday office hours, or set up a separate time? Any thoughts on how to do this?

1 Like

Great idea! A Saturday morning meeting works for me via Zoom. Maybe we can have a shared Google doc as part of that meeting.

Thanks!

I was also thinking synchronous meetings would be helpful. My ability to attend a Saturday meeting, however, would be variable at best. Do folks have other days/times that would work?

I like the idea of setting a weekly meeting—it seems like we all attend this meeting, so maybe we could just go on for 30 minutes after this.

Any interest in creating a website for our group? I have some experience with this (not an expert, but not afraid to try—I have my students create websites as
an assignment in English 211).

image001.jpg

1 Like

Jamaica, what are some days/times that would work for you? Should we make a Doodle poll?

Thanks, Amy

I could definitely still go after this meeting time each week. Perhaps Sylvia has a conflict because she’s usually at the Saturday meeting, right? That’s great you have website creation experience–it’s an excellent idea. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Saturday also works for me, and I like the idea of a Google docs agenda.

Liza

1 Like

Yes! I could meeting with everyone after our Wednesday meetings. Monday and Friday mornings also work well.

1 Like

Agreed–a Google docs page will be good.

1 Like

I suggested right after this meeting?

Sorry–yes–I can stick around after this meeting.