Trigonometry Cohort: Learning Outcomes and Existing OER

Learning Outcomes

These learning outcomes are the course level outcomes, over the whole course. We will still need to develop outcomes in each chapter of the resource we create. After looking over what was provided by members of our cohort, here is a list of outcomes that I believe we can go with. I did my best to compile everyone’s objectives they provided into a single list. If there is any overlap, or things I left out, we can cut down or add where needed.

1. Apply the definitions of angles, triangles, and the rectangular coordinate system to the six trigonometric functions.
  2. Solve problems using right triangle trigonometry.
  3. Extending the six trig functions on each quadrant by defining a reference angle with + - signs.
  4. Solve problems for arc length and area of a sector.
  5. Calculate linear and angular speed to solve related problems.
  6. Graph trigonometric functions and their transformations.
  7. Solve problems involving the inverses of trigonometric functions.
  8. Verify trigonometric identities and solve problems involving sum, difference, double-angle, half-angle, sum-to-product, and product-to-sum formulas.
  9. Solve trigonometric equations.
  10. Solve triangles and applications using the Laws of Sines, the Law of Cosines and area formulas.
  11. Plot points and rewrite equations between the rectangular and polar coordinate systems.
  12. Apply the De Moivre’s and nth root Theorems

Existing OER

Starting with an existing OER resource, and putting it into Pressbooks, I believe is the most favorable option. We can always add to that resource to build our own, and I would like us to consider doing that – to make this our own resource! Below is a list of what was provided by members of our cohort. We need to settle on which of these resources we would like to start with as our base to adapt.

1. Algebra and Trigonometry by Jay Abramson: OpenStax
  2. Trigonometry | American Inst. of Mathematics
  3. Trigonometry by Steven Schlicker: "Trigonometry" by Ted Sundstrom and Steven Schlicker

Donna suggested that she liked the second book:
https://aimath.org/textbooks/approved-textbooks/yoshiwara-trig/

Formats of navigation in the first book are suggested for considerations. Thank you.