Plan OER Structure Part 1A: Outline

Trig Cohort -

Let’s draft the outline of our OER below to include all the parts or chapters that we envision.

Below is what I envision as the course outline.
Chapter 1 - Trigonometric Functions; Angle relationships, similar triangles, definitions of trig functions and using the definitions
Chapter 2 - Right triangle trig: Trig for acute and non acute angles, Solutions and applications of right triangles,
Chapter 3 - Non Right Triangle Trig: Law of Sines and Cosines,
Chapter 4 - Radians and the Unit Circle: Include applications of radians such as arc length, linear and angular velocity
Chapter 5: Graphing of Trig Function and their inverses
Chapter 6: Identities: Proving identities,
Chapter 7: Solving Trig Equations
Chapter 8: Vectors: Definitions and applications

Discussion:
In order to build prior knowledge influenced learning process, the considerations are as follows:
(1)Combining the concepts of angles and triangles of chapter 1 and chapter 4 to be the first chapter.
(2)Adding one chapter for Trigonometric Functions after chapter 3.
(3)Combining chapter 6 and 7 into the chapter of “Trigonometric Equations and Identities”.

Thank You.

Thank you, Donna and Yi, for your input. I fully agree with Yi’s suggestion to integrate radians and unit circles beforehand. I believe it would be beneficial for us to have a brief zoom meeting to discuss our thoughts on the chapter organization and then reach a consensus as a team regarding the sections and chapters.
These are my initial thoughts:

Chapter 1: Right-Angled Trigonometry & Unit Circle

• Angles & triangles, similar triangles, and equation of a circle
  • Radians and the Unit Circle
  • Include applications of radians such as arc length, linear and angular velocity
  • Right-angled triangle, Pythagorean theorem, and definitions of trig functions
  • Solutions and applications of right-angled triangles
  • Use reference angle to find trig function values.
  • Use calculators to find any trig function values.
  • Reciprocal functions

Chapter 2: Periodic Functions.

• Graph of sine and cosine functions
  • Transformation of sine and cosine functions
  • Inverse functions

Chapter 3: Trig functions and Identities

• Proving Identities,
  • Sum and Difference Formula,
  • Double and half-angle formulas
  • Solving trig Equations

Chapter 4: Non-Right Triangle Trig

• Law of sines
  • Law of cosines

Chapter 5: Vectors

• Rectangular Co-ordinate System and vector representation
  • Vector decomposition and applications

Chapter 6: Polar Co-ordinates and Graphs

• Polar co-ordinates
  • Polar graphs

I could go either way. I have always done triangles first. Either way, I think your version of chapter 1 could be split since the other chapters have no more than 4 topics.

It looks good. I agree with Donna’s opinion to split the first chapter. And I want to remove Ch 5 because there are already too many topics to cover during one semester.

Excellent idea, Donna and Kim. To clarify, we suggest splitting chapter 1 and removing chapter 5. By the way, do you have a preference for which book we should adopt?

If we remove a chapter I think it should be Chapter 6. That is optional in most course descriptions.

I still like the one I mentioned initially. It words well for high school and community college.

1 Like