Project Status updates: Trigonometry

The videos for Chapters 1 & 2 have been completed and embedded.
I was moving on to Chapter 3 of the book but noticed the order in press books was different than the book.
Not sure if that was intentional or a result of the transfer. That is something that will need to be discussed. While creating the videos, references are made to earlier information. The easiest thing would be to keep the book in the same order and let those who teach it change the order if they choose to.
Also, changing the order will mean we need to change the numbering of the examples, checkpoints, and caution boxes as well as other headers. All doable but extra work.

What are your thoughts.
Donna

Each section has an Algebra Refresher. What are your thoughts on moving it to the beginning of each section?

1 Like

That sounds good to me. Also, I am working on cleaning and editing equations in chapter 3.

I like that idea!

Is it too much to make a specific section in each chapter or even a new chapter for algebra refresher?

@jeusea @ddensmore I prefer to create a new chapter to differentiate the content on trigonometry and algebra.

1 Like

The “Algebra Refreshers” are just a few problems. Not really enough for a section before the trig. Not sure how difficult to create a new chapter.

It’s not hard to do Donna. I’ll take a look at doing that.

Working in Chapter 4. We are missing pages 178 - 182 from the PDF file. The material between Example 4.27 and Checkpoint 4.32, non inclusive.

@ddensmore - Bimal brought in all of online text: Trig Front Matter. Maybe what is online wasn’t all in the PDF version.

@bkunwor - Can you see if what donna is saying is missing is in the website version and maybe it wasn’t brought into pressbook? Here is the pdf version: https://yoshiwarabooks.org/trig/trig.pdf

@jeusea @ddensmore I imported the section again and named as 'Trig Graphs of Trigonometric Functions 2nd Import", and it has all the pages. We can continue editing on the 2nd import and rename it later.

1 Like

Thank you for doing that Bimal!

We may also just need to copy what is missing into the first import that was done.

Hey Team,
Donna, Yi, and I met on Good Friday and agreed to the following:
• Keep all chapters of the book, including Polar Co-ordinates and Vectors.
• Place all algebra reviews after the learning objectives within each section.
• Keep all exercise problems and create a suggested list (possibly with solutions and videos).
• Maintain the same organization and order of the chapters/sections.
• Use built-in styles for examples, learning objectives, and key takeaways.
• Explore a new custom style for checkpoints.
• The Glossary section has already been added. We will add the items in each section as we progress.
• Explore H5P content.
• Follow up with Louis next week for image repointing and a few formatting issues.

I’ll change the style on the Checkpoints when the custom style is created. I’ll also begin working on suggested problems in each section.

1 Like

The learning objectives are called skills are located right before the homework in each section.

1 Like

Suggested problems for Chapter 1.
Section 1: 4,8,12,18,14,38,22,28,34,46
Section 1.2. 2,8,10,14,22,28,32,30
Se action 1.3. 2,10,16,22,28,38,34,42,46,50
Suggested Problems for Chapter Review

Please let me know if these are ok and I will begin the videos.

@ddensmore Thank you Donna for the list and putting the hard work. Firstly, in section 1.1, I believe you may have mistakenly written “14” instead of "24. in section 1.2, I suggest removing both “10” and “30.” in section 1.3, I would recommend replacing “50” with “52.” Also, thank you for pointing the skills, saved me some time for sure.

Hello team, I would like to provide some updates:

1. I noticed that some content went missing in chapters 1 and 2, but Elizabeth showed me how to retrieve it from the trash on Wednesday. As a result, there are now two versions of each section in Chapter 1. I did not delete the old version because I am still comparing the two versions to see which editing is better. I have a question to follow up with Louis on this matter.

2. I moved the algebra refresher to the top of section 1.1 and applied the custom shading that Elizabeth shared with me. To use these custom textboxes, create a textbox as usual and select “custom” from the Textboxes dropdown. For the definition’s textbox, enter “definitions.” For the Tech Point textbox, enter “tech-point.” You will not see the styling until you preview the box. To add a heading, go to the text editor and add it between <h3> tags within the textbox div.
    For example:

<div class="textbox tech-point">
<h3>Custom Tech Point Textbox</h3>
text text text
</div> 

You can use the teal-ish shading for definitions and checkpoints. You can view the shading at: https://louis.pressbooks.pub/trigonometry/chapter/trig-obtuse-angles-2/

1. I have uploaded close to 5000 images to the media. It took me a good amount of time, but I was able to quickly repoint the images back to Louis on section 1.1 using the following replace method:
    Index of /trig/generated/latex-image to
    https://louis.pressbooks.pub/app/uploads/sites/65/2023/04/

2. Although the math equation formatting appears to be correct, we still need to check the headings, tables, and numberings, move the algebra refresher, add learning objectives, and a few more things.

3. I am working to find a quick and efficient way to apply edits to our chapters. I will share my findings soon.

I will take care of the algebra refreshers and checkpoints. I took a pause from creating videos but will be back on them next week.

HELP! I’ve messed something up in the section on similar triangles. With my eyes, it may not be a good idea for me to work on the HTML side. The algebra refresher went great. But then I moved on to the checkpoint 1.8 and I have messed some of the coding up. I couldn’t get the video to embed, I’m not sure what I did. The information is there but not how it should be.

Thanks Donna for the update. I think the embed tags were accidentally deleted. Should have been similar to [embed]https://vimeo.com/805251227[/embed]. Its fixed now.