August Group Check-In (LOUIS D)

Hi @oct22-d-cohort, I look forward to meeting with those who can join on Monday at 12:30 PM Central Time for our August check-in. I imagine that many of you are extremely busy right now. That’s something we can chat about–how you’re managing to wrap up your OER work while the Fall semester kicks off. Otherwise, we’ll share updates and troubleshoot as needed. See you soon:)

Hi Joel. Would you mind sending a link?
Thank you!

See my DM to your account

Thanks for the excellent chat, @oct22-d-cohort. I told @emily.frank after the meeting how impressed I was at the level of productivity and expertise among your groups. It’s impressive how far along all of you are, really.

Recap

As usual we looked over the LOUIS Milestones and chatted briefly about what kind of wiggle room groups might need. October includes most of the key deadlines.

Groups shared their Moodle courses and we talked through their Pressbook implementation. All groups have been making excellent progress on this. I’m impressed by the consistent mapping to the SLOs, which is an emphasis of Quality Matters.

Philosophy shared how they included a contemporary philosopher (Donna Haraway!) in their OER and that had us discussing Fair Use guidelines. Here’s Stanford’s overview of the Four Factors for consideration. What’s the difference between Creative Commons and Fair Use? Creative Commons licenses offer a pre-defined, transparent framework for sharing, while Fair Use operates as a situational, interpretive mechanism about content that is distributed within specific contexts (such as a course or OER textbook). Both aim to balance the rights of creators with societal benefits, yet they do so through different paradigms. Ryland Johnson, from the Philosophy group, created this fantastic presentation on fair use.

Someone asked about what they could do to restrict an image of themselves from “bad actors”. We talked about applying the most restrictive license (CC-BY-NC-ND) to certain images; but of course the other option is to just not include anything you don’t want re-purposed in nefarious ways.

We chatted a bit about your formative assessments in Moodle. Some use h5p, while others are using quizzes directly embedded within Moodle. There are pros and cons to either option. H5P has the benefit of more customizable and interactive content, and it’s more easily shared across a range of platforms. On the other hand, Moodle quizzes allow you to generate question banks that can be used for summative assessments, etc. I personally use both!

Meeting Times for September 25, 2023

For our September 1:1, I’m going to offer a simplified strategy since all of us will have more complicated schedules than the summer. Instead of offering a scheduling link that each group needs to sign up for, I’m going to just provide you with suggested times for each group to show up on September 25th. If one of the groups absolutely cannot make that time, please reach out to me directly to discuss alternatives. Note that September 25th is a Jewish holiday (Yom Kippur) and that may affect some of your group members’ schedules.

12:30-12:50: CHIS 1023 Western Civilization II 40
Lise Namikas, Natasha Whitton, Sherman Houston Jr., Wesley Welch, Kevin McQueeney, Maya Banks, Connie Milton

12:50-1:10: CGRG 2113 World Regional Geography 18
Peter Yaukey, Neusa McWilliams, Rusti Liner, Jessica Hawkes, Jeffrey Stepp, Samantha Chaisson, Charles Miller

1:10-1:30: CGRG 2013 Human Geography 21
Rusti Liner, Juana Ibanez, Neusa McWilliams, Kayla Siddell, Molly McGraw, Adam Dohrenwend

1:30-1:50: CPHL 1013 Intro to Philosophy 13
Ryland Johnson, Marco Altamirano, Michael Martin, Peter Klubek

1:50-2:10: CECN 2223 Microeconomics 17
Nicole Ortloff, Victoria Palmisano, Brian Sherman, Philippe Lannelongue

Hi @oct22-d-cohort, I found another resource related to OER & Fair Use, thanks for @stacy.katz: Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Open Educational Resources – Simple Book Publishing.