First Monthly Check-In: September 2021 (June 2021 Cohort)

Hello, @june21-cohort! I want to remind you that our first monthly check-in will be on Tuesday, Sept. 21 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern. I’m looking forward to seeing you all and hearing about how things are progressing with your projects. Please take a look back at the goals you established for yourselves in our Session 12 discussion thread so that you can give us an update on them. It’s totally understandable if goals have changed in the meantime or if you haven’t made quite as much progress as you had intended, but hopefully the goals have given you something to aim for as well as something to keep you accountable to yourselves and your teams.

As I explained during our last session, these monthly check-ins are an opportunity to dive deeper into your updates, share about your successes (big and small), help each other address particular questions and challenges together, and set goals for the next month. With that in mind, please come prepared to share your project updates. Screen-sharing is welcome (and encouraged). I also encourage you to come with any questions or challenges you might want to problem-solve with the group. If you can’t make it to the session, please comment below to report on your goals from last month & share any other news you may have.

I hope you have a great weekend! Take care!

1 Like

Can you send today’s mtg info ?
Thanks for your help- I’m away and trying to log into meeting. Yet no start yet- so I must have wrong Rebus mtg #! Sorry

with peace & love,
Pat S-C

Sent you the details over DM!

My goals: This last month I managed to produce draft versions of the first few chapters of the book (weeks 1-5 in the World Humanities 101 course). My aim for the next month is to make weeks 6-10 in the same manner.

2 Likes

Oct. 19 Goals for HOME @ home:

1. Have MOU’s signed by main contributors
  2. Have all Chapter outlines complete
  3. Have all parent feedback promo materials ready for Media Literacy Week Sept. 30.
2 Likes

Goals for October Session

1. Have some content entered into Pressbooks (to troubleshoot any problems that may arise).
  2. Dive into content writing as we have established chapter objectives and a detailed outline.
  3. Maintain bimonthly meetings with our workgroup and hold one another accountable to progress.
2 Likes

goals:

1. Reconnect / bring team members back on the same page (set meetings)
  2. Revisit goals set last time
  3. Set some soft (maybe hard??) deadlines for content creation
2 Likes

Next month’s meeting goals.

1. Draft outline of chapters to be included
  2. Finalize decision of equation editor for the project
  3. Develop an agreement on format of mathematics and physics symbols and equations.
  4. Complete 1st drat of one chapter
1 Like

Thanks for such a great first monthly check-in session this week, @june21-cohort! I really appreciated that you all came prepared to share updates, ask questions, and help each other with challenges that you’re encountering. Here is the chat transcript.

A common theme that came up in several places was the need to make things make things more concrete, whether that is having a formal MOU for collaborators or (as @surovi suggested) setting up team meetings dedicated to the project in order to keep the project from falling by the wayside as other responsibilities crop up. @JessieC shared her updated project outline and her plans to market her resource in conjunction with Media Literacy Week. There were also some questions about Pressbooks, and @vaclavparis gave us a preview of the progress he’s made on his Pressbook. Also on the subject of Pressbooks, the issue of how it fits into project workflows came up in several places, as @nmadamopoulos raised some excellent questions about transferring over equations from Microsoft Word, and @NicoleSimonson mentioned that her team is currently authoring in Google Docs but is considering creating a sample Pressbooks chapter to troubleshoot issues since they’ll be moving the content over to Pressbooks later. As I mentioned, choose the workflow(s) that work best for you and your collaborators. For those who are using Pressbooks, you may want to author some content directly in there, but you might have to provide alternative pathways for collaborators who might find the interface too challenging.

Thanks to all who have already posted their goals for the next month. It looks like we’ve got most of the teams covered, but we still need goals from @jmoritz, @psutherland-cohen, and the @accfab-team. As I mentioned during our session, it can be helpful to think of SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, time-bound) goals.

As I mentioned, there are a lot of open education-related conferences in the fall that you may want to attend (or perhaps consider presenting at next year about your projects). The Creative Commons Global Summit will be wrapping up this week, and next week is the OE Global Conference. The Open Education Conference will also be happening later in October. These are great opportunities to learn about work that others are doing in open education and to build your network.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out here or via DM. We can arrange a Zoom meeting if that would be helpful.

2 Likes

Next Goals:

1. Promote book with Open Text Library
  2. Refine cover, intro sections with collaboration team
  3. Reach out to 3-4 more potential contributors

Continuing the discussion from First Monthly Check-In: September 2021 (June 2021 Cohort):

1 Like