Help with formatting philosophy books in Pressbooks

The Introduction to Philosophy open textbook series is seeking volunteers to take chapters from Google Docs or Word and put them into Pressbooks. Both the Aesthetics and Epistemology books will be needing this help soon!

Ideally, volunteers will have experience with either WordPress or Pressbooks, and be able to complete the work by the end of July.

These books are part of a series of 9 volumes in the Introduction to Philosophy open textbook series, designed to provide foundational information in various areas of philosophy often taught in introductory courses, including ethics, logic, metaphysics, and more.

Please reply here, or on the volunteer thread for the series.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi Christina, I’d be interested in volunteering to work on the chapter transfer process. I’m an experienced user of WordPress (over 10 years working with, as well as hosting a variety of instances), and just recently started dabbling with a self-hosted instance of Pressbooks, so getting more used to the PB workflow shouldn’t be much of an issue.

It’d be fantastic if the overall amount of work could maybe be split in different packages, as I’m not 100% sure I’ll be able to cover everything across both major book projects, with being on a full-time day job and all, but I’d be thrilled to get started with this asap, so don’t hesitate to let me know about next steps etc. :smiley: Best wishes, Toby

1 Like

Hey Christina! I’d be very happy to help with some formatting. Same as @Toby, not sure quite how much I can take on but at least a few chapters should be doable. If I get in the rhythm, could very well do more! Let me know when you’re ready to get going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI Toby,

Thank you so much for volunteering, and I apologize for my delayed reply. I, too, am squeezing this project in with a fully day job!

It would be fantastic to have your help, and yes, we can break the work up into different parts. In fact, now that we have a couple of volunteers, maybe you could just work on the Aesthetics book. The copy editor has finished most of the text of the chapters (except the references), so there’s some work ready to go right now.

The chapters are all pretty straightforward in terms of formatting. Many of them have images, but otherwise it’s just text and headings.

How about if you email me and I can get you access to the chapters and the book on Pressbooks! christina.hendricks@ubc.ca

Thanks again!

Christina

Hi Zoe, Great to hear from you! And thank you for volunteering to help out. Apurva has also offered, so maybe you and she could do some work with the Epistemology book when those chapters are copy edited? The copy editor had to step away for a little while to catch up on other work but I think she is going to be returning to it very soon. I can connect with you when things are ready to move into Pressbooks, and maybe you and Apurva can divide up the chapters? And I’ll work on the front matter/back matter elements.

Thanks again!

Christina

1 Like

Hi Christina, thanks, and fantastic, sounds like a plan! Have sent you an email (from my other address info@flavoursofopen.science) and happy to follow up from there :slight_smile:
Best wishes, Toby

Thank you, Toby! I can’t find an email, though…not in my spam folder either. Can you try again at christina.hendricks@ubc.ca?

Hi Christina, sure, have now given it a try from my google account (steiner.tvstudies-at-gmail-dot-com)…