January Group Check-In (LOUIS D)

Welcome to our first monthly check-in, @oct22-d-cohort! I hope your Spring semesters are off to a good start.

There are a few resources I want to share with you before this month’s synchronous session.

  • Rebus February One-On-One Sign-Up: This is a scheduling link your group will use to sign up for a time slot (within a two-week window) that will count as our February One-On-One session. After discussing options with your group members, have a single member confirm the appointment and add other group members’ email addresses to the event confirmation page.
  • IMLS Milestones 2023: This document includes the milestones for your OER textbook and Moodle course development. We’ll use these markers to help with monthly goals and check-ins.

Questions to consider for our session discussion

We’ll devote much of our January check-in to group discussion. Given that the February milestone is “Consistent chapter structure outline,” here are some questions to consider.

  • What has your group already done that will help develop a consistent chapter structure/template? Consider things such as: identify high-quality examples from existing OER in your field; become familiar with good practices in accessibility and inclusive design; articulate learning outcomes for students; identify different engagement strategies, such as h5p, images, concrete examples, other non-textual media, and a variety of assessments?
  • What do you not know or feel confident about right now?
  • What are some next steps your group might take in order to fill in any knowledge gaps? Who can support you—members from LOUIS, Rebus, others?
  • How will your group achieve consensus on things like chapter design?
  • You’re one of the first cohorts to develop OER as AI tools become more widely available to students and educators. How might that affect your OER development?

Suggested Resources for February

In this section, I’m going to offer a few resources that may help with your group’s February OER goals, given the first milestone: “Consistent chapter structure outlined.”

Phase 1 Survey Results

Here’s the feedback from your cohort for the Phase 1 question about what you would like to revisit or focus on in Phase 2:

Accessibility and Inclusive Design

Content Creation

Authoring and Editing Logistics

Graphic use/creation; supplementary content expectations

Storytelling and content creation/development

CC licensing

Electronic publishing

A more concrete understanding of how the OER we are building will look.

Formatting insight. How to look at code source to figure out how to use it.

I think it would be great to learn more about the different approaches and innovations used by faculty members who participate in the Rebus sessions.

How to integrate primary sources in our OER

Deliverables for this month

  • Confirm that your group has signed up for a February One-One-One session.
  • During Session: As a group, discuss the questions prompt (above in this thread) and post your responses to this thread.
  • Asynchronous: Work on your group’s February goals!

The Philosophy cohort is feeling very good about this phase of the project. the only areas we might be interested n hearing more about include:

Formatting insight. How to look at code source to figure out how to use it.
Storytelling and content creation/development
Graphic use/creation; supplementary content expectations

We are looking forward to moving on in the next phase.


Human Geography is moving forward — marking up chapters and meeting to go over our edit ideas!

Western Civilization II had a pretty productive first January meeting. We were able to establish a description for what we want our course to be, as well as establishing some learning outcomes. While some of us have experience with OER creation, those of us who are new to the process are really looking forward to more training on specifics like Pressbooks, H5P, inclusive design and accessibility.

We are lucky to have two team members who were involved in this program last year and can somewhat be guides of how the process works, although the timing is a bit different this year. We also love that Emily is available when/if we have specific questions. So far we have done really well working together and we can all compromise when need be. It might be a struggle to find consistent times that work for everyone to have working sessions but we should be able to evenly distribute the work while still having one consistent voice.

To be honest we aren’t yet sure how the development of AI will affect the creation of this course. It seems that it might have more of an effect on how the students interact with the course than the creation itself. But we will be thinking about it as we go along.

1 Like

Our next cohort meeting is Feb 1. Progress anticipated!

Hi Joel
Do we still need to schedule a one on one meeting with you? I am in two cohorts, what dates do you still have available?

As I encounter AI more and more, my thought is that it will have an impact on some of the suggested assignments and assessments. Unless we include specific instructions or requirements that an AI bot could not accomplish we risk students using ChatGPT or Quillbot, or whatever is the next popular AI program.

1 Like

Good point! Some of you are probably innovative in this area right now. Perhaps you’ll think of ways to build assignments around the expectation that students will use ChatGPT etc. There are ways to work with and against it, of course.

We should talk more about this during our March group meeting.