Phase 2: January Group Check-In (October 2022 B Cohort)

Welcome to 2023, @oct22-b-cohort! I hope your semesters are off to a good start! I’m looking forward to our first monthly group check in tomorrow. Below is a bit of an agenda for tomorrow to keep us on track:

1. @emily.frank will provide some information from LOUIS, which will cover high level expectations and milestones for this next phase and supports available.
  2. I’ll spend some time going over the structure of Phase 2, chat about some of the emerging themes from the survey you all completed, and we’ll discuss what our next group session will look like.
  3. We’ll take about 20-25 minutes discussing your goals for the next two months, and if time permits, look at the OER Structure template again briefly.
  4. Finally, we’ll regroup and have time for any questions, comments, or concerns you may have and you’ll have a chance to sign up for your One-On-One session next month. (Note: If none of these times suggested work for you, please let me know as soon as you can so we can find a time that works for you.)

As you’ll notice, we’ll spend most of our January check-in having a group discussion to support your teams in preparation of your upcoming milestone in February: a consistent chapter structure outline. Here are a few questions to consider before we meet:

• Has your group been able to establish a regular meeting schedule?
  • What has your group already done that will help develop a consistent chapter structure/template? (Consider things such as: identify high-quality examples from existing OER in your field; become familiar with good practices in accessibility and inclusive design; articulate learning outcomes for students; identify different engagement strategies, such as h5p, images, concrete examples, other non-textual media, and a variety of assessments?)
  • What are some next steps your group might take in order to fill in any knowledge gaps? Who can support you—members from LOUIS, Rebus, others?
  • What do you not know or feel confident about right now?

Deliverables for this month

Confirm that your group has signed up for a February One-One-One session. (Note: If none of these times suggested work for you, please let me know as soon as you can so we can find a time that works for you.)
During Session: As a group, discuss the questions prompt (above in this thread) and post your responses to this thread.
Asynchronous: Work on your group’s February goals!

As always, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out!

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow,
-Kaitlin

Hey @oct22-b-cohort

Thanks to everyone who could attend today’s session, as we kicked off Phase 2! This Phase is going to be different from Phase 1, as this is the hands-on stage of the program, where you and your team work on your OER projects, with a mix of group check-ins with your cohort and 1:1 support sessions with your facilitator. Our monthly group sessions will be an opportunity for us to come together and revisit themes of Phase 1 to discuss how they relate specifically to your projects. We’ll use our 1:1 sessions to share progress updates and bring up any challenges or questions that your teams may be facing.

We started our session with Emily providing information from LOUIS, covering high level expectations and milestones for this next phase and supports available. It doesn’t hurt to put these milestones into your OER Project Summary to help keep track and support your teams as you solidify your timelines (plus since there are so many moving parts at this stage of the publishing process, it’s nice to have one master document to return to!)

Next, we went into breakout rooms to discuss goals for the next month. If you weren’t able to attend today’s session, your team members who were present will be updating you as soon as they can. When we came back together, we chatted about our 1:1 sessions in February. Since the week we have scheduled (February 24) is the week of Mardi Gras, if that date doesn’t work - feel free to use this Calendly link to schedule something that works better for your team.

Be sure to read the post above for questions to consider over the next month, and don’t forget to have one member of your team post an update below. As always, if you have any questions between then and now please reach out.

Enjoy your month ahead and see you in February!

In reviewing the IMSP Milestones document, I see that we will be using Pressbooks and Moodle. I do not have an account with either and was wondering under what organization I should create these accounts. I’m not sure what other cohort members will be in my same situation.

Hey Karen, Emily has created a document (linked here, but located in the LOUIS OER Project Google shared drive) that outlines your upcoming Moodle and Pressbooks Training Sessions, with February 9th being the first session for Pressbooks. Your account will be set up for you at the end of this month, using your email and logging on via the LOUIS Pressbooks.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Kaitlin