Logic [ed: Benjamin Martin]

Hi Christina, from my tests, it looks like adding a faux line break with the Shift+Enter keys between the 3 lines introduces a line break in the PDF, however, removes the line break in the webbook. This is obviously not ideal! The Pressbooks team tells me they may have found a solution to our footnotes issue, so let’s wait to see if this resolves it? I hope to hear from them at the end of the week.

I also have good news about the images in the book: the png files in the print PDF export should now show up without any background noise or blurring. Pressbooks has made recent changes to resolve this issue.

1 Like

@christina.hendricks — the footnotes issue is part of the current Pressbooks sprint, and the team is hard at work to find a fix. They hope it will be resolved in the next two weeks, but given the complexity of the issue, are hesitant to say so with certainty. All this to say: if we do want to move ahead with the release, the best thing to do will be to edit the footnote (either by adding line breaks, editing the text, or other). If we prefer to wait, know that this could take anywhere from 10 or more days to resolve.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’m sorry this process has been more complicated and drawn-out than we initially anticipated.

Thanks, Apurva. So just to be clear, are these the existing options?

1. Use <br> tag, which will give line breaks in the footnote in the webbook, but doesn’t solve the problem in the PDF
  2. Use faux line break with shift-enter, which will give line breaks in the PDF but not the webbook
  3. Put the footnote in to the text instead

For now, I’ve done the first option so it at least looks okay on the web, and I’ll update Ben that if we want this resolved quickly, the best thing to do is option 3, probably.

Thank you so much for your help, and please send along my deep gratitude to the Pressbooks team for working on this issue!

Hi @metatechne! I hope you’re well.

We’re nearly ready to publish this book I believe. We are working on one last problem with a footnote in chapter 3, but I think that’s it. I’m just wondering where you are with doing a final copy edit of the text?

Thank you!

Yes, those are the options. Thanks for reaching out to Ben.

I’m sorry none of them achieve quite what we wanted, but hopefully the permanent fix from the Pressbooks won’t be too far away. I’ll pass along your gratitude to the team :slight_smile: Thank you for your patience!

@christina.hendricks — I’m not sure if you’ve had a chance to review the options for the footnote issue as yet. Some good news if you haven’t: the Pressbooks team is planning to release a fix later this week. I’ll have a look to test whether the issue has been resolved and will write back by the end of the week.

@christina.hendricks I’m pleased to report that the footnote issue has now been resolved!

I wanted to flag a few things:

1. I noticed two LaTeX equations not parsing or rendering correctly in Chapter 1 (footnote 1) and Chapter 3 (exercise 2). I’ve corrected these equations so they should display as intended.
  2. The URLs for hyperlinked text in footnotes is currently not displaying in the print PDF (there seem to be about 4 instances of this). The Pressbooks team has filed a ticket to resolve this issue: ideally, the custom CSS rules we’ve written should also apply to these elements.
  3. URLs for linked images in the book were being displayed in the print PDF, like so:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 11.11.39

Linking an image means that it can be zoomed into - users can click on it in the webbook (separately or in an image lightbox). Obviously, this behaviour isn’t possible in the print book. So we’ve added a new CSS declaration .print .wp-nocaption a::after to the list of elements where we don’t display data-url. This ensures that the images in the print PDF are displayed without the URL (while they are still clickable in the web version and digital formats).

Please take a look at a new set of exports, and let me know what you think about the lists in footnotes in Chapter 3 and these other issues I have flagged. If all is okay, it’ll be good to decide whether you’d like to move ahead with release, or wait for a fix to #2 first.

Hi Apurva,

Wonderful news about the footnotes and lists issue! That looks great. And thank you for fixing the other issues (1) and (3).

I see what you mean about the URLs in the print version in footnotes–there are just empty parentheses there. I would go ahead without that being fixed but we’re still waiting on hearing from Ben about images in Chapter 4. And I’m not sure if Colleen has gone through a final copy edit yet (I’ll check with her); she may have been waiting until we get the images in Chapter 4 issues resolved.

We’re SO close on this one!

Alright, we’ll wait until Ben and Colleen are able to update us on the images in Chapter 4 and copy editing respectively and move ahead to release (regardless of where issue #2 is at).

We’re almost there — I’m very excited!

Good news, @christina.hendricks — this issue is now resolved! I believe all that’s left is to finalize the images in Chapter 4, verify the status of the final copyedit, and we are good to go.

Wonderful–thank you, Apurva, and thank you to the Pressbooks team! I’ll connect with the editor on the status of the images in chapter 4.

1 Like

Great; keep me posted!

Update on progress with this book!

We are really close to publication, we’re just waiting on some questions about images in chapter 4 but otherwise the book has been copyedited, I’ve done an accessibility check of everything, and after addressing the images issue we can press “publish”!

1 Like

@apurva I’m going over exports of the book for one last check, and have noticed a couple of things:

1. In the list of authors on the title page for the PDF exports, Ben’s and my names should have “book editor” and “series editor” after them (also for the main book blurb on the web page). That is how they appear in the “book information” in Pressbooks. It’s the same for the Ethics book, but there the names do appear as having “book editor” and “series editor” after them. I’m trying to figure out what I’ve done differently this time that means that isn’t working!

2. In the print PDF export, there are still URLs for the diagrams as described in an above post (July 24). Is there something I can do to fix that? Maybe I overwrote some custom CSS by mistake at some point?

3. There are a few places in the PDF (such as p. 24 and p. 67 in the print version) where a number is left hanging at the end of a page with the rest of the exercise that goes with it on the next page. This isn’t a crucial issue; I could fix it later b/c it’s mostly aesthetic, but I’m wondering how I might adjust that?

4. Also cosmetic: the footnotes in the PDF come very close to the running footers; is there a way to make more space between the footnotes and the footers when they are on the left?

Thank you!

@metatechne We have adjusted some of the images in Chapter 4 of the logic book, and I’m wondering if you could take a quick look at how I’ve done the attributions? One of them is used under fair use, with further explanation to justify that as discussed previously. Is that adequate?

Thank you for taking a look when you have a moment!

Hi Christina, see my responses to each:

1. It looks like creating the contributors anew and adding them to the book metadata did the trick!
  2. The Pressbooks team is looking into this, and I’m hoping to hear back from them by tomorrow. It doesn’t look like a mistake on your part, rather that the CSS we’ve added doesn’t seem to be applying to linked images in the text. Note that linking an image is what lets users enlarge the image in the webbook. If a fix seems like it might take longer, I can suggest a temporary fix to let us publish — we simply ensure that images are not linked.
  3. All fixed!
  4. I’ve used CSS to add a bit of extra padding to footnotes (both on left and right pages).

Let me know what you think. I’ll keep you posted about #2 tomorrow, and as I said, if we need to go ahead an publish with the temporary fix, we can certainly do so.

All in all, we’re on track to hopefully share this book more widely this week!

Wonderful–thank you, Apurva! All looks good now except the issue with the URL for the images showing on the print PDF. I’ve also asked Colleen to take a quick look at the two images in Chapter 4 and the attributions I’ve tried to draft for them. Then I think we’ll be ready to go!

1 Like

The URL issue is now resolved — we had to use a similar workaround as we did with the references. We applied a custom class (.centerimages) and made sure the image formatting was preserved in the Custom CSS. Then, we included this custom class in our CSS rule to avoid displaying the URLs in print. You should see these rules in the Custom CSS for print.

I also noticed a few errors in the text editor, which I’ve tried to clean up. I also made a few changes for aesthetic reasons - centering tables, and removing the spaces before textboxes so that the resultant print PDF contains fewer pages.

Please take a look at the various formats, and let me know if we are all set. Happy to wait for Colleen to take a final look too!

@christina.hendricks Both attributions look good. One tweak to the second: I’d add the creator/owner of the work (R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company) to distinguish the former from the venue in which the ad was published.

Camel Advertisement by R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. Published in Life Magazine, November 11, 1946. Via the University of Alabama. Used under fair use.

The use of the ad and the explainer are excellent! I think the caption truly enhances, pedagogically, the use of the image as well, which is ideal for fair use/dealing. :smiley:

1 Like

Wonderful–thanks so much, Colleen! I’ll change the attribution for the second image accordingly. Much obliged!