Monthly Check-ins

Hi Apurva,

I was ready to join on Friday and found an old invite with the meeting details. However, as I tried to get in, I was asked for a password and I had no recollection of getting that through past e-mails.

Sorry to have missed the meeting.

We are moving along with copyediting for the chapters in Open Pedagogy Approaches. There are two chapters yet to be claimed although one of them is still waiting for me and Alexis to suggest some major edits. We currently have 5 chapters being copyedited, which leaves 15 that are now waiting for final review by me/Alexis and then an author sign off. Our draft introduction should be ready for a few reviews by the end of this weekend. It’s funny how we keep kicking that can down the road.

Not sure about Alexis but my energy is draining toward empty very quickly after this semester. But June 30 is on the near horizon and I think we can push through. If we need to delay the final release, I imagine everyone involved will understand.

Kim

Make that 4 chapters currently being worked on and 16 that Alexis and I can perform a final review on! :slight_smile:

Kim

1 Like

Hi Kim, I’ve resent the password information to you now via Direct Message and will resend this to the cohort next month at the same time as the meeting reminder, so it’s easier for everyone to find.

Thanks for the update(s)! 16 chapters waiting on a final review is fabulous. I hope that the remaining 5 can get through copyediting soon too — is this being done in the class with students? The introduction is a tough piece to write. Sometimes you need to see all the other pieces before you can wrap that up. You’ll get there soon enough!

You’re not alone in feeling that way: in fact, @kautzmka, @ed.beck and @alazear had all identified either going through the same themselves or hearing the same from someone on their project. It’s good to use the time between semesters to recharge, so if that means hitting pause on the project briefly, that should be okay. As you note, your team is very understanding, so rejig the timelines for release if you have to, and you’ll all be happier for having done it. :slight_smile:

@oct19-cohort, another month has flown by, which means that we have another check-in next week on June 5, Friday, at 1pm ET. We’ll meet on Zoom (at our standard link) with the same password. I’ll send out the password as a reminder over Direct Message to the cohort.

I proposed an idea last time we met to use our check-ins not just for questions and discussion, but to also tackle different topics/challenges that might be pertinent to your projects as a ‘mini-session.’ Topics could range from something as broad as “detailed formatting workflows” to a specific discussion about a feature or tool such as “interactive elements using H5P in Pressbooks.” Is there anything you want me to prepare on for next week? Please let me know in the next few days!

I hope everyone has been keeping well so far. I look forward to hearing your responses and chatting more next week.

1 Like

Thank you @apurva. Yes, for me, I think a refresher on detailed formatting workflows would be helpful =)

2 Likes

Great, thanks for letting me know. I’ll keep that in mind as a possible option for our mini-session, and see if the others have any other suggestions! :slight_smile:

@oct19-cohort — reminder about our check-in today at 1pm ET. A reminder about the password will be sent over Direct Message. We’ll use the same Zoom meeting URL.

Today, we’ll share updates and also spend a bit of time to discuss formatting workflows! Here are the resources I’ve prepared for this mini-session:

1. Handout: Detailed Formatting Workflows
  2. Slides: Detailed Formatting Workflows

See you all soon! :slight_smile:

Hi @oct19-cohort, a huge thank you to so many of you for joining our check-in last Friday. It was really nice to see everyone on the call, and spend a bit of time chatting about where each project is at. I also appreciated the community moment with questions & answers, and the feedback about our mini-session on formatting workflows. :pray:t5:

Next month’s topic

@dannick suggested we chat about print-on-demand at next month’s check-in on July 10. Would this be of interest to everyone else? Is there something else you’d like us to discuss? Let me know in the next few weeks.

@wentworth, I’m sure you will have lots to say about POD, so let me know if you’re open to collaborating on this mini-session.

Recap

The mini-session is probably best broken down in the example formatting workflow that I put together, so I encourage you all to look at that and let me know if you have any questions. We also managed to see a sneak-peek of the Open Pedagogy project, brainstorm ideas for formatting multiple appendixes, and get some input on copyediting (generally and with LaTeX books).

Chat Transcript & Resources

As usual, I’ve saved a copy of the chat transcript for reference. Below is a list of the resources shared on the call, plus a few additions I’ve put together in response to questions asked:

@oct19-cohort — so far, we’re looking to tackle print-on-demand at our mini-session this July. If any of you have other preferences, please let me know by the end of the week! Thank you to those who have shared your suggestions so far.

1 Like

@oct19-cohort — we’re meeting tomorrow at 1pm ET for our July Check-in! It’ll take place on Zoom, as usual, and I’ll send over the password reminder over direct message.

This time, we’ll have a mini-session on print-on-demand and refer to:

1. Handout: Print-on-demand
  2. Slides: Print-on-demand

If you happen to have print copies of your favourite OERs with you, bring them to the session to show it off! :books: Looking forward to chatting with you tomorrow, and hearing how your past month has gone.

Thank you @apurva. Sorry, this is to let you and @walcir.cardoso know that I won’t be able to join today. Have a good session!

No worries - thanks for letting me know. Hopefully you or Walcir can drop an update in the chat when you get a moment! :slight_smile:

@oct19-cohort Thank you everyone who attended our session last Friday! I know some of you had to leave early, so if you missed my print-on-demand demo and would like to catch up, let me know. I’ve saved a copy of our chat transcript and collected a list of the resources shared:

Our next check-in is August 7. If there’s a topic you want to explore at our mini-session, please let me know by the end of the month!

1 Like

@oct19-cohort Our next session is nearing, so if there’s a topic you’d like us to explore, please let me know over the next week!

@oct19-cohort - we’ll meet tomorrow on Zoom at 1pm ET for a short monthly check-in and to discuss any questions, challenges, or stories that you might want to share. See you all then. Check your direct messages for the password information.

Thanks to everyone from @oct19-cohort who joined the check-in today. We’re all juggling quite a bit looking ahead to the Fall term or other responsibilities/projects, and that’s okay — remember that the open publishing model is flexible and responsive to any help you work within whatever you might be facing.

Today, we heard that unfortunately, Joe Stabb, who was working on the Introduction to Public Relations project, will not be able to continue with the project and is leaving the cohort. Wishing Joe good luck, and hoping that we can all collaborate with him once again in the future!

Lots of links shared in our chat transcript, which I’ve compiled:

Our next and penultimate check-in will be on September 4th, so if there’s anything you’d like us to tackle in the form of a mini-session, please let me know over the next few weeks.

Hello all,
I just want to let you all know that we have not given up but between COVID-19 and our Fall reacreditation we are swamped. Will try so hard to get to the next meeting and thank you for the conference material. perhaps we could talk about the difficulties presented to our group…
Talk soon,
Joan

Outlook-ktwuobro.png

Hi Joan, thanks for the update. I understand how busy you and the others on the Nursing team must be! I hope that you all get a bit of time to yourselves before you’re able to turn back to the project.

We’d be more than happy to discuss some of the difficulties that your group is facing. Please feel free to share in the discussion space, or we can spend a bit of time during our September check-in to dive into this.

Thank you Apruva … I do feel that you are all there for us.
Joan

Outlook-ktwuobro.png

1 Like

We certainly are! The cohort is here to support you in whatever small ways we can.