November Monthly Check-in

Thanks @may20-cohort for joining me at yesterday’s session! Special thanks to Zac and Jenny for sharing files that we used during our discussion on formatting and accessibility.

As we saw, laying out your books in Pressbooks, H5P, or PreTeXt involves a number of steps, but this doesn’t have to be very overwhelming. Focus on the roles you have assigned as a team, and rely on the various guides/documentation available for these publishing tools. Those charged with formatting and layout can complete this work slowly, methodically, and if you run into issues, please share them here where the cohort may be able to help troubleshoot.

Creating accessible OER takes intention, which you all have, so trust in the ways you’ve built this work into your projects so far!

Our next meeting is on December 1st. If you have suggestions for topics to tackle, please let me know.

Chat Transcript and Resources

Take a look a our session’s chat transcript. Resources shared are compiled in the list to follow:

Follow-ups

A few final notes:

• @zmtownsend, I’ve copied over your module into your book. Please note that the figure in the chapter still needs alt. text.
  • @poritzj & @w.j.palmer, I can share a Pressbooks XML file of Chapter 1 to import into your Pressbooks shell, if you wanted. Please note that images need alt. text and that tables will need to be scoped with header rows and columns.
  • @geripalmer:
    • I had promised to share a few resources to help with prepare for peer review. Please refer to the checklist of items in our peer review handout — mainly preparing a tracking sheet, review guide, and explaining the review workflow to your authors and editors so they know what work they will need to do after the review.
    • If you get a chance, please let us know when your team will be presenting at a conference! It’ll be a helpful example for others in the cohort to see how they could also market and tell the story of their projects. And some of us might even be able to make the sessions and show our support.