Open Resources Thread

Hi @oct22-a-cohort folks,

I’m creating this thread for resources that might be useful in your OER. Please also contribute if you see any that might be good for others in the cohort.

@JenSloan I found this Sociology of Immigration site from Brooklyn College. It’s a mix of open and library resources

@elin.waring @JenSloan and @mporos - I thought you might be interested that there’s an article in Teaching Sociology - The Opportunity of Now: Adopting Open Educational Resources in the Sociology Classroom and Beyond arguing that sociology is well-positioned as a discipline to teach with OER

I’ll share more resources as I find them, but feel free to add as you find too :slight_smile:

Thanks, Stacy, these both look like great resources!

1 Like

@ayali the topic of positive psychology came up on an OER listserv that I’m on. The resources suggested (which you may have seen) are:
The Handbook of Well-Being and this similar course.

Hope those are useful and you are doing well!

Nice! thanks!
The similar course link author seems to have created a remix of the text I was using last semester! I’m going to check it out; she may have added the things I noted were missing. Excited to see what she did with it and could help me further hone what my contribution might be.

Hi all,

This upcoming event at Baruch might be of interest - CUNY 1969: What We Learn from a Year of Unrest, Student Activism, and the Struggle for Black and Puerto Rican Representation at CUNY.

@elin.waring and @bridgetalepore, I thought this might be of interest as a resource for the history of academia-type part of your OER.

Hi folks,

I’m at the Northeast OER Summit online today (so is @jpoe). There’s some great sessions already, including @jpoe’s! I’ll send out links later on because they are recorded, but I wanted to point out this open textbook that was created through TSP. This was part of an inclusive design session and some very cool textbooks came out of it. The book has an Icons and Textboxes key that is really nicely done that I wanted to point out - Icons and Textboxes – Reading and Writing Successfully in College: A Guide for Students

Also, just a reminder that we will be meeting 4/14 at 10am.

See you next week!
Stacy

@JenSloan I was just poking around new OER and found this Pressbook with embedded timelines - Chapter 1 – Numbers – The Living Tree of Mathematics: Math Problems through World History and Cultures. It’s in a math textbook, but I thought the timeline feature would be of interest. Hope this is helpful!

Hi folks,

Several CUNY folks (including me) have participated in this OER Research Fellowship. Please reach out or reply below if you have any interest/questions.

The Open Education Group thanks to generous support from the Hewlett foundation is seeking to support early career researchers to conduct studies in open education (what is open education, click here) through the open education research fellowship. The purpose is to support education professionals to develop their open education scholarship ideas into published works. Specifically, this fellowship seeks to provide mentorship, community, and some financial support to carry out their ideas in open education research. Financial support includes attendance at the Open Education Conference in 2023 (November 7-9, virtual) and 2024 (in person in the United States, TBD). The fellowship will also pay for article processing charges to allow for publications developed in this fellowship to be publicly available (around $3,000). In addition, fellows will receive a stipend of $1200 per article submitted prior to January 15, 2025, based on their fellowship work.

Applications will be assessed based on its potential contribution to open education, feasibility, and novelty. In the application, prospective fellows will be asked to explain how your proposed research project would be relevant to diversity, inclusion, equity, and access to education. Applicants should have some prior research training and will be asked to list their previous research coursework.

For the purpose of this fellowship, the following groups are considered early career researchers: doctoral graduate student (PhD, EdD, PsyD, DSW, DNP, DBA), postdoctoral researchers, pre-tenure faculty, teaching-track/clinical faculty (including librarians), and faculty at teaching-intensive institutions (liberal arts, community colleges, regional institutions, etc.), K-12 administrators and teachers, and public education employees. Full or part time status applicants are eligible. Tenured faculty at research institutions (R1 or R2) would generally not be considered early career researchers. Please feel free to contact Virginia Clinton-Lisell with questions about eligibility at virginia.clinton@und.edu. Note, due to legal reasons, we can only offer this fellowship to early career researchers working in the United States. If you have a work visa for the United States, please check with your visa guidelines regarding payment eligibility from the fellowship prior to applying. While this fellowship is limited to US residents, we strongly encourage research projects with global perspectives, particularly in the Global South.

Learning more about the fellowship in this video. https://youtu.be/cxFTRH6dPLU

Applications are due June 15th, 2023, at 11:59 pm Central Daylight Time and may be found here. https://byu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dj5ITUWTogyKvhr

Examples of research projects previously supported for publication in the fellowship include the following (see a comprehensive list here):

Brandle, S. M. (2020). It’s (not) in the reading: American government textbooks’ limited representation of historically marginalized groups. PS: Political Science & Politics, 53(4), 734-740.

Essmiller, K., Thompson, P. , & Alvarado-Albertorio, F. (2019). Performance Improvement Technology for Building a Sustainable OER Initiative in an Academic Library. TechTrends, 1-10.

Gumb, L. & Cross, W. (2022). In Keeping with Academic Tradition: Copyright Ownership in Higher Education and Potential Implications for Open Education. Journal of Copyright Education and Librarianship

Jordan, J. (2023). Compounded labor: Developing OER as a marginalized creator. In the Library with the Lead Pipe. https://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2023/compounded-labor-developing-oer-as-a-marginalized-creator/

Kelly, A.E., Laurin, J.N., Clinton-Lisell, V. (in-press). Making Psychology’s hidden figures visible using open educational resources: A replication and extension study. Teaching of Psychology.

Nusbaum, A. T., Cuttler, C., & Swindell, S. (2019). Open Educational Resources as a Tool for Educational Equity: Evidence from an Introductory Psychology Class. In Frontiers in Education (Vol. 4, p. 152). Frontiers.

Ozdemir, O., & Bonk, C. (2017). Turkish Teachers’ Awareness and Perceptions of Open Educational Resources. Journal of Learning for Development-JL4D, 4(3)Smith, N. D., Grimaldi, P. J., & Basu Mallick, D. (2020). Impact of Zero Cost Books Adoptions on Student Success at a Large, Urban Community College. Frontiers in Education, 5. https://doi.org/10.3389/feduc.2020.579580

Tang, H., Lin, Y. J., & Qian, Y. (2020). Understanding K-12 teachers’ intention to adopt open educational resources: A mixed methods inquiry. British Journal of Educational Technology.

Wynants, S. A., & Dennis, J. M. (2022, March). Redesigning a research methods course with personalized, interactive OER: A case study of student perceptions and performance. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 22(1).

Thanks so much, Stacy! I appreciate it!