Phase 2 Monthly Check-in #5: 24 April 2023

Hi @July22-M-1-cohort , gentle reminder that we’re scheduled to meet next Monday from 2:30-4:00pm ET. These were the goals you had all set for yourselves for this meeting:

• Yvonne:
    • Get feedback on Chapter 1 from PST, perhaps meet PST too.
    • Complete draft of Chapter 2.
    • Gather the names and emails of 3 potential peer reviewers for the book.
  • Demetri & Vanessa
    • Meet the PST to inform chapter structure.
    • Share a sample chapter with the PST, and others in the cohort for feedback.
  • Ileana & Max - please do add your goals here! One that we require:

I hope you’ve made/are making progress towards these goals. If possible, someone from the PST may join our session like last month.

As always, if you can’t make the session or have any questions, please let us know.

Hi everyone — coming to you with a list of all the resources that were shared last time we met! It took me a while to track everything down, but hopefully you’ll find this useful:

Goals for our session next week (May 22 at 2:30pm ET):

• Everyone: Send peer reviewer names to Marilyn (marilyn.billings@comcast.net)
  • Yvonne: Complete chapter 2
  • Ileana and max: Work on next chapter and schedule meeting with PST.
  • Demetri and Vanessa: Complete 2 of the 4 chapters they were working on!

ROTEL Book Launch May 24
I’ve also forwarded the Save the Date invitation for the ROTEL Book Launch on May 24! Hope some of you can make it then.

Timelines and Deadlines:
I’ve spent some time chatting with the ROTEL team to clarify what deadlines you all need to be working towards this summer. Before going into the details, I’ll reiterate that I’m here to support you all, as is the core ROTEL team and the PST! So please, if you have any questions/concerns/comments, send me an email or direct message and we can co-create a plan of action and plan of support for you! These details may have been shared with you previously, but it bears repeating and clarifying!

All chapter drafts are ideally due at the end of June, so the PST can set aside an adequate amount of time to format your books. Now if you already have some chapters drafted and can begin passing these on to the PST on a rolling basis, this would work too, and may give you some flexibility to work slightly past the June deadline. (A suggestion to request a portion of your stipend at this point has been passed on to ROTEL)

In July, the PST will edit and format your books, and the ROTEL team will gather peer review feedback on the content.

In August, you will be able to make revisions to the books based on feedback from reviewers. We’ll also be gearing up a marketing campaign to launch the books in September.

In September, the hope is that you will all be using your books in your courses! Those of you participating in the adoption assessment with ROTEL will begin this work at this time.

Now remember, the beauty of OER is that they can be revised and updated very easily, so you may make more changes to the books after September — we can chat more about how to do this in ways that don’t disrupt the student experience. As I noted: come to me with questions/comments, no matter how big or small.